No Controversy


Working here at Shiloh, while at times exhausting, is a peaceful place to plow away.  Each day the quiet calms a soul.  All you hear, except for the honking of a goose, the tweeting of a bird, or the low rumble of a boat engine, are the thoughts that ramble through your brain.  Continually, I find myself saying, "Take every thought captive."

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ."  2 Corinthians 10:5

Left to its own accord, my mind can race to negative thoughts in solitude.

Paul expresses what happens to those teaching anything except the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ.
"...he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain." 1 Timothy 6:3-5

The "teaching" scenario I'm going to share started with my mind returning to the recent Kentucky Derby and the controversy causing the fastest horse to be disqualified.  (God just used the experience of that race as a starting point of His great lesson for me.)

As I scraped and sanded away, the thought came to me. "I hate controversy."

My heart was saddened by all the negative thoughts that kept popping up. Thoughts people who had hurt me or others.  I knew what I really needed was a big dose of praise music, but I was too tired to get my phone and plug in. God had a plan.

While in 2 Corinthians 10 recalling the verse on taking thoughts captive, Paul's dissertation on bragging, caught my attention as well.  I share this past week's experience to brag about what God does for us and encourage you to find that quiet place engage with Him.

Oh, that we would linger with Him more often and allow Him to work in and through us.

"We won't dare compare ourselves with those who think so much of themselves. But they are foolish to compare themselves with themselves.  We won't brag about something we don't have a right to brag about.  We will only brag about the work that God has sent us to do, and you are a part of that work...
But I hope that as you become stronger in your faith, we will be able to reach many more of the people around you.  That has always been our goal."  2 Corinthians 10:12-13, 15

To be continued...

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?