Tomorrow, Tomorrow



"Do not boast about tomorrow,  for you do not know what a day may bring.

Proverbs 27:1

This was the Biblegateway verse the day after we attended a funeral for a long time friend, who died very unexpectedly on the golf course. This man, who loved the Lord, was a real joy spreader and always had a radiant smile on his face.  I clung to my husband's hand throughout the entire service, being thankful he was beside me and recognizing we don't know what tomorrow may bring. Right now typing in the middle of the night, I take time to lean over and kiss the warm shoulder of my best friend lying beside me.  I can't stop thinking about my girlfriend and the longing in her heart for her husband.


The pastor who spoke reminded us that our friend would want us to focus on the joy of where he is and not the void of what we are feeling here on earth.


This verse appeared last week the day before we were to leave on an unexpected trip to stay with our favorite NFL quarterback, because his parents were unable to be there with him. The verse held great wisdom for us not boast about what we were getting to do.  It reminded me also that...

"We make our own plans, but the Lord decides where we will go." Proverbs 16:9


He decides where we will go and his destinations have one purpose...for Him to be glorified.

Back to...open my eyes Lord so that I may see where you are at work and calling me to join you.  Give me spiritual eyes to see the what's around the peripheral of life.

"Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit'— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.  Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.'” James 4:13-15



"Don't worry about tomorrow. It will take care of itself. You have enough to worry about today."  Matthew 6:34

"Then Joshua said to the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among  you."  Joshua 3:5

I wrote this devotional last week before we left town, so I'd have something ready to go today.  As many of you have seen on the news by now, he was knocked out cold yesterday during the game. What has transpired from that moment on has been such a surreal experience for us.  God calls us to unexpected things each day and He is always present.










Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?