Thin Places

Ashley, second from the right, in Cabos with her three sisters. 
Ahsley's sweet husband.

You are in for a blessing today.

Years ago, I was asked, by a prayer group I am part of in Mississippi, to pray for a young mother of four who had been diagnosed with a very rare eye cancer called Ocular Melanoma. She lost her eye with the tumor and had a fight before her.  After sending Ashley Holmes McCrary a prayer, we connected by phone and I fell in love with this woman who is beautiful inside and out! It thrills my heart to think we have eternity together in heaven, because she is a joy and I really want to hang out with her forever!

Currently she flies from Auburn, Alabama to Philadelphia, PA every week for a new treatment regimen to fight this deadly disease which has spread to her liver. I think she is about to have treatment #24. She has had to say farewell to way too many friends who were fighting this battle.

Her faith is uplifting and intoxicating. God is using her in such mighty ways to impact others. Below is an article about how this disease found its way to 36 Auburn University graduates. Following that link is a recent Facebook post she calls "Thin Places". Be prepared to fall in love with her and follow her journey. She gives me reason to rejoice on so many levels.  She is loved by God and a Princess Warrior!

 https://eyecancer.com/dr-fingers-desk/ocular-melanoma-mystery-rare-eye-cancer-found-36-auburn-university-graduates/

Post by Ashley

"?THIN PLACES:  I sometimes downplay why I am traveling so much and doing trips with different people/family members.  I don't want their to be any sadness when I do all the different things I am doing... like going to NY with my kids, or going to Eagles games or going on trips with my husband and/or my sisters.  But my reality is the type of cancer I have doesn't have good long term outcomes.  We use terms like "improves overall survival rate" by X amount of months.  Those with OM mets understand that we are fighting for a cure, but sadly that cure has not happened yet.  So, for me I try to live my life honoring the Lord in all I do and I also take to heart that He came that I would have life and have it abundantly.  I look for HIM in the details and try not take anything for granted.  

Today my sisters and I met a sweet lady from Tennessee named Michelle Burgess.  While having a conversation with Margie Tranum Lamberth and Debbie Holmes Breithaupt, it was revealed to Michelle why were in Cabo together.  Margie shared my diagnosis and Michelle's response was, "y'all are in a THIN PLACE."  As Lindsey Holmes Cross explained beautifully in a post on fb, "We did not know what she was referring to. She then told us 'There is a name for spaces such as this: thin places, a Celtic Christian term for ‘those rare locales where the distance between heaven and Earth collapses."  

In looking up what "thin places" means I found this, "It is where the sacred touches the mundane, and for a moment we see clearly." I also saw where one person described it as "The veil between heaven and earth becomes so sheer you can almost see Heaven." People who talk about "Thin Places" talk about how a place or an experience helps you see more clearly what is important and what is not.  

To us this time together is surreal, special, and one we will not forget.  It is indeed a "thin place." As Lindsey said, "We embrace every moment. It’s a gift when you live like you’re dying. Not morbidly. Just REAL LIVING.  We are ALL dying. Being told one of us has terminal cancer has just made us more intentional."

For the record, I believe God can completely heal me THIS side of Heaven.  I believe in the treatment I am on and think it would be amazing if this was the "holy grail" of treatment options for those with metastatic uveal melanoma.  I will fight for longevity of life for my family and friends.  

Special moments like this will not be forgotten.  We cherish this time in Cabo as a "thin place" where we see more clearly what is important and what is not. We choose to see the divine in the mundane. If I am going to live, I would rather live like this because the way I am living now is powerful and beautiful. I guess the question is, "How are you living?"  To say I am blessed is an understatement... blessed and thankful. 
#howwillyoulive #thinplaces #eyeswideopen #eyebelieveinacure #nomorestagefour "

She posted this yesterday and helped me out with today's song choice. That video will rock your world as well. Have a tissue on hand.

My friend Boo Andrews read my post about Thin Places and asked if I had a song to go with it. She writes a blog called "Boojoyful" and likes to include music selections to go with her posts. I immediately thought of this. "Say I Won't" by Mercy Me. I love these lyrics:

While I've been waiting to live
My life's been waiting on me

I'm gonna run
No, I'm gonna fly
I'm gonna know what it means to live and not just be alive
The world's gonna hear 'cause I'm gonna shout
And I will be dancing when circumstances drown the music out
Say I won't

It's about living, second chances, taking advantage of opportunities and being a light in this dark world. It's my mantra...Say I won't! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhTHgaCjTJs 

Many of you already pray for Ashley, but if not please add her to your prayer list.  If you are on facebook you can follow her story. I haven't been on Facebook in a couple years, but am getting back to it, just to read Ashley's posts.  She has her regular page: https://www.facebook.com/daveandashley.mccrary

Then there is a private group.  Not sure how you get into this, but if it has more "Jesus" and you want in I can ask her.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=ashley’s%20eye%20lovey’s

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?