A Friend Closer than a Brother

Noticing a pile of mail that needed to get out, I decided to kill two birds with one stone (getting exercise and taking the mail) and I took the half mile hike up the gravel road to our mailboxes.
I had dropped the out going mail in the box and also picked up our paper and headed back towards home.

Most people who know me well know of my fear of birds. As a five year old child, I was with my grandmother when a blue jay attacked her for showing me a nest. I had just walked pass a lovely family cemetery when out of no where a large grey bird, possibly a pigeon, but it sounded more like a dove, swooped towards me.
I instinctively called out to my husband, my hero: "Deke," although I was no where near home. Then immediately the words, "Help me Lord" flowed from my lips.

Out from the edge of the road came a second bird who was obviously injured. The protector, continued to fly towards me and then back the injured bird who was making her way across the street flapping vigorously her/himself. By now I had the sense to stop walking and trust in the Lord to resolve this situation. Normally, I carry my cell phone out on adventures like this, but I had forgotten it this morning.

When I stopped and waited on the Lord, the protector bird stayed by the side of the injured bird until they made it down into the woods. By now I was moved by the friendship visible in these two creatures. The injured bird had a friend willing to stick closer than a brother.
I did too...his name is Jesus and he saw me safely home!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?