Pleasing In His Sight

March 15
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:6-9

Ten years ago this month, I underwent surgery for a ruptured disc in my lower back. Unbeknownst to me or my doctor, the extreme pain I was left in a few days following the surgery was due to a spinal leak and then an active infection in my spine. The doctor explained that the surgery had just not been successful for me and left me in worse shape than before the procedure. Accepting that diagnosis I went forward believing God had allowed this for some reason in my life. Actually, it led to me writing daily devotionals for the past ten years. Hmmm? Probably part of His plan.
Being the mother of six children complicated the situation, because I could neither drive nor barely get up out of a chair on my own. Alone one day, while all the children where at school, the enemy began working on my mind. Rolling off the couch, I clambered to my feet and made my way to the woods where we have a little outdoor chapel area. Face down in the sand, beneath a huge wooden cross, I cried out to the Lord to beam me up! My petition began like this:
"Lord, please just take me home! I can no longer be a wife or a mother in this pain. I want to be my children's joy!" Whoosh, then came the reply. The unmistakable firm, but true voice of God disciplining his beloved child.
"I want to be your children's joy. Your job is to teach them about me, not be their joy!" Brushing the sand from my body, I pulled myself up and stood before that cross shell shocked. I stopped my whining and asked him to forgive me for trying to be things He never intended for me to be and to cleanse me and make me pleasing in His sight. Our love relationship deepened that day and eventually physical healing came as well.

If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
John 15:10-12

Today's devotional is a double hitter (See Stink Bug below) as I am taking part in a devotional carnival though this website. www.rachelolsen.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?