My New Paulian Friend- Part 1


October 9
The connection to the body of Christ is a marvelous mystery.  Like the chord of three strands, two separate individuals have a common kinship through Christ.  Instead of a fraternity pin, we cling to the cross.  Hymns and praise songs hold greater significance than a sorority theme song.  And for initiation a prayer for salvation and the act of baptism will more than suffice.
When we are surrendered to the Spirit we are more recognizable and in those times the benefits of believing often blossom.
Way down in Mississippi, where the magnolia is the state flower, there's a group of gals I pray with through email. I may never see these woman face to face until heaven, but we know we are there for one another and we take prayer very seriously.  For months I've been praying for a young woman on this group's list. She was diagnosed with melanoma of the eye and she has had her eye removed.  This 43 year old, mother of four, has a faith like Paul and it spills over upon anyone who comes in contact with her, if even just through her Caring Bridge entries. In one entry she reflected on a college Bible study teacher, named Betty, and three life lessons she learned and has held on to.


1.  God has a plan for my life (Jer. 29:11), He will carry that plan to completion (Phil 1;6),  His way is best!  God is sovereign and His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts.  But He knows the beginning and the end and He can be trusted.
2.  Isaiah 43 tells us that "WHEN"  we go through the waters and through fire (not IF but WHEN), He will be with us.  We will experience disappointments in life. Betty taught us that "disappointments in life are a platform in which God can reveal himself to us."  We are to expect them, and  use them to bring glory to God.  Ultimately we are to consider it "all joy" (James 1:2-3) when we have difficulties. 
3.  God can be trusted and we are to give testimony to His faithfulness.  (Prov. 3:5-6).  He pursues me and speaks to me in ways I need to hear him.  There is a story I share about trusting God and how I try to hold onto things in my life that I need to let go of and let God control.  I began this lesson of letting go 10 years ago and I am still learning it today.  God will peel back one finger at a time until my hands are completely open .... letting go - and "letting God" is not easy but I have learned to do it with my marriage, my children, my finances, my future, and now my health.
My new friend was desiring to have a prosthetic eye and get rid of her designer "pirate patch".  A "God-thing" occurred.

"The cost of my prosthetic eye is $2000.  We still don't know what will be covered because this is not a medical necessity.  We do know that the day of the placement of my eye we will have to bring $500.  Typically that is not that big of a deal.  But just like everyone else,... I have other things that money would typically go to with either my family, church, kid activities etc.  So on Wednesday morning I prayed specifically that God would give us that money, so that it wouldn't take away from another area.... Many of you know I won a trip recently though Budget Rent a Car.  The trip was supposed to be for a 4 day weekend to Branson, MO.  It included a free 4 day car rental and cost of lodging.  The people in charge contacted me and since we couldn't go in the next 3 months they decided to just mail me the vouchers to use in the next year.  Instead of sending a voucher for lodging I got a check made out to me for..... you guessed it,... $500!  Isn't God fun."
Join me tomorrow for Part 2 and another peek at this pretty woman's faith!


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?