They Hurried Off




December 13
So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.
Luke 2:16

Personally, when I think of shepherds, I don't think of a hurrying, scurrying bunch, but an angel would most likely like a fire under anyone's behind!  If I take time to think of how Jesus would want us to celebrate his birthday Psalm 46:10 comes to mind:  Be still and know that I am God.  But that is difficult to fulfill with all that society impresses upon us during this season.

Saturday night, we were driving home from spending the day with our parents.  As I passed a side street, before our turn off, I thought of a precious sister in Christ who has been a wonderful example to me.  She has lung cancer and is scheduled for surgery December 13th.  I knew I'd be leaving the 10th to be with my father, so I asked my husband if we could have a prayer party the next day to pray for the upcoming surgeries.  He's so accommodating! I sent out an email to some of her neighbors and friends.  A substitute mama of mine is a fabulous pianist and organist and she agreed to come play Christmas carols.  The neighbors pitched in with the food and we came together and had Christmas!  After my husband prayed, instead of everyone HURRYING off, we turned down the lights and sang, "Silent Night" by candlelight.

The next morning one of my friends, who had been here, called to say the husband of a woman she worked with was killed that night in a car accident.  We had just prayed for another friend of her's, whose 24 year old son dropped dead last week due to a heart defect no one had a clue he had.  When my pianist friend came in they share that while they had been playing pickle ball that afternoon, a 52 year old gentleman playing had a heart attack and flatlined. An ambulance was called and he is recovering at a nearby hospital, but we just never know when our time on earth will come to an end.

So with that in mind....be still and know that God loves you and wants you in heaven with him...you may need to hurry to your knees and confess Christ as more than a baby in a manger, but as Savior, as King, as Lord of your life.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?