What Do We Do...

August 7
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.  
Hebrews 10:23
A dear, dear friend was here for Bible Study Monday night and said the older she has gotten the more she has hoped for things to just go well in life, but she recognizes that is not promised anywhere in the Bible.
Actually, James tells us trials are going to come and to "consider it pure joy" when they do, because they test our faith and produce perseverance.  James 1:2-3  Paul exhorts us in Philippians 4:11 to "learn to be content", inferring life isn't naturally a bowl of cherries or Cherrios!  (Which ever sounds more appealing.)

So... What do we do with what we've been dealt?
We turn from our wicked ways and turn to the Lord, we trust in His ways and we praise him for his provisions.  We cloth ourselves in the Armor of God and march out into life (being with fellow believers and singing hallelujah helps) and standing firm in the faith, we keep on keeping on for Jesus' sake.

Boo and her bear in their armor with some of the Monday night prayer warriors.
The soldier on the left is wearing her husband's combat boots!

I like how Psalm 119:160 is expressed in The Message. The short version in the NIV states:
All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal.  Psalm 119:160
or in The Message
Take a good look at my trouble, and help me-I haven't forgotten your revelation.  Take my side and get me out of this; give me back my life, just as you promised.  "Salvation" is only gibberish to the wicked because they've never looked it up in your dictionary.  Your mercies, God, run into the billions; following your guidelines, revive me. My antagonists are too many to count, but I don't swerve from the directions you gave me.  I took one look at the quitters and was filled with loathing; they walked away from your promises so casually!  Take note of how I love what you tell me; out of your life of love, prolong my life.  Your words all add up to the sum total: Truth.  Your righteous decisions are eternal.

Whatever we've been dealt has been allowed to touch us by our loving Father, for he knows how to use it for our good and his goal of making our character more like Jesus.  Jesus is the door...the way into heaven and the way out of trouble! The armor of God is available to all who believe on the name of Jesus...who by the way, has already won the victory for us!  The devil is biting all he can before "pit" time.  Knowing how to resist him empowers how we deal with the tough times we are dealt.




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?