Learning Something New

September 17
We've embarked on a new Monday night Bible Study here at Shiloh. It is Priscilla Shirer's study He Speaks to Me.  For the next few weeks I will be taking the lesson each day and turning the teaching points into a prayer to transform our lives.

Looking back over the notes I took on the first video there are some "action words".  Actions we need to take for our faith to grow and to position ourselves to hear God.
REALIZE we need Jesus.
EXPECT him to help us.
DEPEND on God for everything.
TRUST!

"They (children) are excited by learning something new and delight in discovering new truths."  I'm laughing over that quote, because lately, I've been the recipient of trainees.  Two weeks ago at a retail store,  my checkout girl was experiencing her first day on the job. Bless her heart, I threw three new situations her way and she had no clue how to handle any of them and was quite embarrassed. I explained how I loved to learn something new every day and was excited to watch her learn, so not to fret.  Then I told her manager what a great attitude she had. Yes, it probably took me an extra 20 minutes that day, but when she keyed in my phone number to begin the ringing up items process; and saw my personal information she said, "Boo Andrews, I've heard of you. I have friends who have come to your house for Bible Study."  I was so thankful I had been nice.

A few nights ago, I called in a pizza order to go. A voice just answered "hello". I thought I must have dialed the wrong number.  Then the poor waitress got all tongue tied trying to answer correctly.  The situation deepened when I tried to order a half and half pizza!  Again I said, "Don't worry, it's great to be learning!"  When I went to pick up the pizza that sweet gal came out from behind and counter and hugged me!  The manager came out and said, "What is going on here? Is there a problem?" We laughed and she confessed her faux pas. Fortunately he laughed too!

I think God smiles as we learn new Bible truths! We may get confused and put Zacchaeus in the Lion's Den and Daniel up a tree, or go totally blank and not have a clue who was married to Abraham.  Try explaining the Trinity as a new student of the Bible and you may get a dazed look. But the want and the willingness to learn pleases God.
Do we have a childlike relationship with God?
Are we excited to learn something new each day in His Word?
Are we trainable?

Train up a child (or a grandmother) in the way they should go...

Let's pray:
Lord, help us stay excited about learning something new from Your Word each day. May we delight in discovering new truths and totally trust You with child like faith. Remind us daily that joy and freedom lie in obedience.  So where Your Word tells us to seek You continually, may we be found faithful.
In Jesus' name, Amen

Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face continually.  Psalm 105:4

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?