Compromise


                                        
A recent house guest pointed out to me that the blossoms closer to the sky on our magnolia tree bloom sooner.  Hmm, I responded with "Maybe that is true of those of us closer to Jesus."

These days I feel as if ships flying flags saying "Christian" are being cast out to sea, but it is our God who controls the winds and I pray for revival in our land and our hearts to turn from our wicked ways. May we be permitted to freely spread the gospel in America until Christ's return.

The other day I asked my husband if he thought every generation has thought "the world is out of whack"!  He said, "Probably so, but our's is really out of whack. My parents thought The Beatles were the most horrific thing that could happen and that's nothing compared to what we are hearing and seeing."

Some conversations with individuals recently brought the word compromise to mind, which led to the word conviction. How do those two go together?

Compromise:an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions by conceding, granting or yielding something.  That could mean accepting standards that are lower than desirable or associated with a strong conviction.


Conviction: A strong belief or opinion


https://carm.org has a Bible dictionary which says this about conviction.


"Conviction is the work of the Holy Spirit where a person is able to see himself as God sees him: guilty, defiled, and totally unable to save himself (John 16:8).                  


Conviction functions differently for the Christian and non-christian. For the non-christian, conviction reveals sinfulness, guilt and brings fear of God’s righteous judgment. Whereas, a conviction in the believer brings an awareness of sin and results in repentance, confession, and cleansing.


Theologically, conviction is produced by the Holy Spirit (John 16:8), the Gospel (Acts 2:37), conscience (Romans 2:15), and the Law (James 2:9). Conviction of sin brings man to the cross and shows the need for forgiveness."


With all that in mind, Do you have to compromise your convictions to indulge any person or action?  

If we are honest the answer for most of is us "yes, at one time or another."

While I would say there are certain individuals whose presence cause me to be quieter about my faith, I would hope I don't compromise my convictions, but I know I have.
More than once I've turned my head knowing that an unmarried couple is sharing a room here in our home.  For years I stood my ground saying "not in my house," but over the years my conviction has wained. 

Let's think about some of these real life dilemmas. 

Should my book club select a book that Jesus would't read, I would skip that month?

Should my girls' night out gang use profanity, drink a little too much, share jokes I wouldn't repeat to Jesus, would I consider I might need another group?

Should my son refuse to come visit, unless I allow him to sleep with his girlfriend, would I miss his visits to my home, but still go see him on his turf?

Should the couple we've been dying to receive an invitation from, ask us to an "R" rated movie that I'd be embarrassed for my pastor to see me attending, would I suggest they come to our home for dinner instead?

Should my husband suggest we not tithe this year and take a romantic getaway instead, would I decline the offer and suggest an alternative getaway plan that doesn't cost as much?

Should my child decide to marry an unbeliever, would I take the time in love to explain my beliefs and why I have great concern for the path they are heading down?

Should I be out to eat and no one offers to thank God for the food, would I have the courage to offer a QUICK blessing, preferring to offend them than God?

Should I be traveling with friends or family who don't attend church regularly, would I invite them to go to join me as I either check out a church, watch a service on TV or listen to some praise and a podcast on the computer?

Ha, would I pray all the people in these scenarios would fall in love with Jesus and want to live lives that are pleasing to Him.  Would I take spiritual fine tooth comb and ask the Holy Spirit to show me where I "let things slide" conviction wise in my own behind closed doors behavior.

The Song

"Hope of Ages" by Hillsong Worship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpry0ViI5UQ

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?