Bird Blast

June 16
Approximately 45 years ago, my girlfriend made me watch Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds  with her.  As I child, while with my grandmother,  we had been attacked by a blue jay after my grandmother tried to show me the baby birds in a nest.  The mother bird flew into my grandmother's hair and pooped on her shoe. I can see the exact spot where we were standing to this day!
As a responsible adult, I've tried to overcome this fear for the sake of my children and grandchildren, but it's been a rough week bird wise!

My husband and I were dealing with only one house key, so we had left it in a planter by the front door for one another for several weeks.  Returning home Friday night, I found the key on the top step right in front of our door mat.  For the life of me I couldn't imagine why my husband would have left the key right there and it wasn't a spot where he would have dropped it out of the planter. That morning, I had noticed a nest in the planter in the very spot we leave the key, but I had forgotten to tell my husband.  Finally, I deduced that the bird had moved the key off her nest.  A friend pointed out to me the kindness of the bird…she could have flown off anywhere with that key chain!

A few days later I went out to the hammock to read my Bible. As soon as I laid back a bird flew to the hammock and landed 12 inches from me. I was so startled that I gasped and she flew to a limb above me.  I thought for sure she was going to peek my eyes out, like in the movie.  Will I ever be able to relax in that hammock again?

Laughing over these episodes with some friends following a Bible Study dinner, one friend suggested I take the leftover bread outside and "feed the birds!"

I'm getting paranoid now. I just realized we had to cut down a huge pin oak that same week. Maybe it was home to some of them and they are retaliating.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?