I Like to Be With You


October 27
Looking back on early family pictures of our six children, my heart filled with joy as I reflected on how much fun they had together.  I guess our daughter didn't know any better than life with five little brothers.  Bringing our adopted daughter into our lives years later was a blessed move.
Yesterday, I was prompted by an email devotional to get on my knees for my children and pray.  The communication started with me lifting up to God their health, their careers, their parenting and their marriages (and a husband for the one not married).  Then God spoke to my heart in a unique way and impressed upon me the importance to pray first of all for them to desire His presence in their lives and for them to love Him passionately.

God brought to mind how much I love being with our grandchildren.  He said, "It's an easy kind of love, because they love being with you."  The picture of cocktail party conversations or even church vestibule chit chat came to mind.  Have you ever been talking to someone and noticed they are looking around at who else is there and not into your eyes?  The realization that they really don't want to talk to you seeps in.  Then God whispered, "I really like to be with you, but you spend such little time one on one with me, really listening to what I have to say."

Why is it we have such difficulty dwelling in His presence?  Are we afraid of what He might have to say?

Listen to these words in The Message and then slip away with the Lord who loves you with wildly!

Are you tired?  Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me.  Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitted on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.  Matthew 11:28-30 

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?