The Arrival of Advent

Reading The Night Before Thanksgiving with our grands.
November 29
The remains of turkey have been made into sandwiches, salads and soup. College football rivalries were played out across America yesterday leaving some elated and others saying, "Wait until next year."  Bags are being packed as relatives make their way back to their homes.  The transition of life continues and today is the first day of Advent 2015!

For this stroke surviver, four days of travel and family joy was probably too much stimulation. I had to head home a day early due to a headache and just plain feeling funky, but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Every Christmas season I profess to myself and Jesus that it will be more about him and less about the glitz!  Yesterday, we put on our Brandon Heath Christmas CD and pulled out a FEW decorations.  As the first notes tinkled out of the stereo system and my man walked by and kissed me, the tears dripped down my cheeks.  He said, "Oh, no!  Stroke emotions."  Honestly, I don't know for sure what the tears symbolized.  Love for such a kind man who has cared for me these past months with gentleness and compassion?  Thankfulness that I'm able to do as much I can? Maybe a little bit of wishing I was full speed again?  Or the Spirit moving me to reflect on the magnitude of God's love for me?

For Advent I'm digging deep into the She Reads Truth study called "Born is the King."

...at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:10-11

My Savior, Redeemer, Sustainer and Friend...all titles of which I often refer to Jesus, but King?
Having lived under a democracy all my life, I have little monarchy experience, so maybe that's why my mind doesn't gravitate in such a direction.  Jesus is our King and will rule throughout eternity.

A goal has been set in this study to challenge the readers to memorize Isaiah 9:6-7 during this season of Advent.

For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it 
with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. 

The dictionary defines Advent as: "The arrival of a notable person, thing or event."
I pray each day we acknowledge the arrival of Christ in our lives and we allow him to rule our day.
I've also set a goal to see others I pass by as notable. for they are to God.  Randomly, I'm going to slip a note inscribed with Philippians 2:10-11 and one of our daughter's Christmas harp CDs to a stranger in my path each day!




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?

Marriage Matters #1