A Privilege with Great Purpose

Our 30 year old son, celebrating his birthday with a swim!
He's like the Pied Piper.  Kids just flock to him, because he's willing to be where the action is!

March 4th
My father was a very busy businessman, heading up a road construction company. His work required him to travel to bid lettings, out of town to job sites and to numerous conventions a year, but at least four times a year he would take my mother and me along on fabulous trips. When possible he would leave work to attend my sporting events. When he was in town He was present and interested. His presence made me feel so loved and brought me such a peace and confidence.  Tennis matches made my mother nervous, so he'd carry a couple folding chairs (allowing them to sit away from the crowd) and a cooler with Tab (the diet drink my mother liked) and cold Gatorade for me.  When he was at home, he was my homework helper, always encouraging me to do my best.  He took me clothes shopping more than my mother did!  He sacrificed his free time and gave it to his children and did it with great joy.  

"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, 
bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."
Ephesians 6:4

My husband's career is in education/administration where he pours himself into the lives of other children. We were blessed that our children could attend the school where he worked, which afforded him the opportunity to be very present in their lives thus setting an excellent example for our sons.  Watching our children parent is such a blessing.  They genuinely enjoy their interaction with their children and have a strong presence.  They see their children as a treasure and worth investing in.

The phrase "take notice" just came to mind.  When these dads walk in the door, or attend a child's event they TAKE NOTICE of that child.  There is eye contact, verbal interaction and discipline when needed.  They have wise spouses who know the importance of them decompressing with some alone time as well and also plugging date nights into the calendar to keep the romance burning.

For year's my husband carried the haunting lyrics to "Cats in the Cradle" in his wallet.  A good reminder to make the most of the fleeting impressionable years a parent has on a child.

Take the time to encourage and spur on a young father you know to be joyfully be present in the lives of their children. To count it as a privilege with great purpose.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?

Marriage Matters #1