Prayerful Hearts Free of Hatred


March 10

Recently I overheard someone firing off how they hated one presidential candidate. They were quick to sing the accolades of another.  My guess was if I approached this person and asked for specific stances, which were evoking these strong emotions, they would not be able to pinpoint many positional statements.
The boldness of this individual eventually brought them to inquire of me, as to whom I voted for in the primary and also seek to see if I held hatred for the same individual they did.  My response was that while certain personalities were "not my favorite" I had to realize that God has created each of us with a purpose and I couldn't comfortably say I hated one of God's creations.  Absolutely, I'd rather have a like minded, God-fearing, humble individual leading our nation and I take my responsibility to vote seriously, but I need to remember the Lord is sovereign and has a plan.  That plan doesn't include me expressing hatred for others.  That was the end of our conversation.

While Psalm 101:3 instructs us...
"I will not look with approval on anything that is vile. I hate what faithless people do; I will have no part in it."

Matthew 5: 43-44 states:
"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.'"

Paul's word in 2 Timothy 1:9 is a great reminder that God has a plan and a purpose for each of us.
"He has saved us and called us to a holy life-not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.  This grace was given us in Christ Jesus..."

A She Reads Truth writer wrote:
"In Christ's presence, we are able to see the world as it truly is. We also begin to see people-all people-as made in the image of God, full of dignity and worth. By His Spirit, the Savior opens our eyes to eternal things, teach us to walk by faith, not by physical sight."  

God, help us get through these next eight months of this election year with prayerful hearts on the forefront of our lips.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?

Marriage Matters #1