Tomorrow

My husband says this looks like a fake backdrop, but it's our side yard and our son's rowboat.
Missing this boatload of fun.

July 29

My husband leaned over to kiss me goodnight the other night, which took effort as he's been battling terrible pain for 12 days from a tooth extraction and bone graft.  The pain meds they gave him have done nothing.  Take care of your teeth!  After he kissed me, I said, "What are we going to do for the next 20 years?"  I think the sleepy reply was simply, "Love each other."

Another Biblical reply could have been...

"..do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. 
Each day has enough trouble of its own."  
Matthew 6:34 

This led me to take a look at "tomorrow" scriptures. Most of us have some tomorrows ahead of us unless Jesus returns tonight!

In 1 Samuel 19 God uses Jonathan to warn David about a "tomorrow." God proved his capability to protect David, but sometimes it's nice to know a friend has your back!

"My father Saul is looking for a chance to kill you.  Be on your guard tomorrow morning; go into hiding and stay there."

There's another powerful story in 2 Chronicles 20 where Jehoshaphat was warned of "a vast army" that was coming against him.  It says in verses 3-4  "Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord, and he proclaimed a fast for all Judah!  The people came together to seek help from the Lord; indeed, they came from every town in Judah to seek him."

I love the remembrance Jehoshaphat brings forth to the people in verses 6-9 as he addresses God.

Lord, the God of our ancestors, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you. Our God, did you not drive out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel and give it forever to the descendants of Abraham your friend? They have lived in it and have built in it a sanctuary for your Name, saying, ‘If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.’
Next enters the Spirit of the Lord speaking through Zechariah's son, Jahaziel. In verse 17 he says:
"You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.  Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you." 
 I kid you not, as I was typing the verse above, my email dinged to say I had mail. A friend had emailed me this exact verse!  Whew wee!  That got my attention!  
So, I close meditating on the words of Jesus' brother James in chapter 4:13-15 of his book, while
knowing God is on his throne.
"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life?  You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.'" 

God holds tomorrow and he can handle whatever tomorrow holds within itself!

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize 
for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3:14


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?