To Be...a Servant

The hospital reunion
January 30
Remember, these emails are not usually time sensitive. I just go with the flow of the Spirit and write, but they don't always get posted chronologically!  Today's is real time!

Last Thursday, we went straight from the airport to my in-laws' home. A neighbor had called to say my mother-in-law was very ill with the flu and my father-in-law had fallen three times and couldn't get up. Ends up he had the flu too.  They were both admitted to the hospital and after 20 hours in the ER, which was a actually amazing care that we hated to leave, they were put on different floors for their hospital stay.  The photo above was when they were able to wheel my mother-in-law to see her husband before she was discharged yesterday.

The week prior to all this shaking down, everything I'd been reading related to being a servant.
One book said, "Letting your feelings get hurt means you think it is all about you!"  Wish I'd read that at thirteen years old and kept it pasted on my bathroom mirror all these years.

Life is not all about us. That mind set is what gets us all in a-tither or is it a dither? It's about God creating us and calling us to a life that glorifies Him and points others to Jesus. We are called to be like Christ, who gave up everything in obedience to come to earth to be a servant to all. He served to the point of death on the cross.

Early on in the five day hospital stint, I was up praying in the middle of the night and opened Biblegateway to see Mark 9:5 MSG with this reminder.

"He sat down and summoned the Twelve. 'So you want first place?  Then take the last place.  
Be the servant of all.'"

Then today after we've shifted our positions to carrying for his mother at home and his father at a nursing home temporarily for physical therapy, God is still speaking to me in His Word posted daily on Biblegateway. Paul teaches us...

"In light of all this, here's what I want you to do. While I'm locked up here, a prisoner for the Master, I want you to get out there and walk-better yet, run!-on the road God called you to travel.  I don't want any of you sitting around on your hands.  I don't want anyone strolling off, down some path that goes  nowhere.  And mark that you do this with humility and discipline-not in fits and starts, but steadily, pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences."  Ephesians 4:2 MSG

My guess, although I've been too tired to remember, is that at some point each day I've wanted to run away and be cared for.  Ha!  We are cared for every moment! God's timing is perfect. I thank him for healing us from the awful virus and for our Florida reprieve allowing us being well rested to embark on this newest assignment.  Y'all I'm telling ya, He knows all things and has purposes we are not even aware of.

It's not about us!  It's all about Jesus!  Let's encourage one another and get out there and serve on whatever road He calls us to travel today.  Jesus is coming back we are going to be blown away by what is next!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?