It Makes Sense to Unplug


A friend recently posted this sign from a restaurant table where he was dining.
I'm making these for Shiloh!

January 25

Those of you who've known me for years know I love a "little" as in "children" chaos around me, but with the aging process and the desire to know God more deeply has come an appreciate for "a quiet place."

In Mark 6:31 we hear Jesus telling the apostles:

"Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

The Contemporary English Version explains "But so many people were coming and going that Jesus and the apostles did not even have a chance to eat.  Then Jesus said, 'Let's go to a place where we can be along and get some rest."

You know, that place where you can hear yourself think and hear from the Lord.  When is the last time you've taken a day to unplug and get away from your phone, computer, tablet of any type?  Okay, so that sounds drastic. When was the last time you spent three hours disconnected?

The phobia that keeps us from doing that is fear. Fear of missing out! 
Fear that someone will need us and not be able to reach us to solve their problems. 

Yet, on the flip side how many times have we allowed "a call" to interrupt God speaking to us?
Just when we've settle down to listen..."ding" and we grab the phone. I"m so guilty.  Then either I forget what God was trying to impress upon my heart or I altogether forego my intimate time with the Lord and run to what the world had calling.  (Most likely the source was one of the Devil's distractions to keep me from hearing from the Lord.)

Adam and Eve were in a sinful state and certainly didn't want to hear from God.
"They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden."
Genesis 3:8

The Prophet Isaiah was unplugged and had this amazing response to the Lord's voice.
"Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?' Then I said, 
'Here am I. Send me!'"  Isaiah 6:8

Admittedly, there have been times I didn't want to listen, because I didn't want to go. You know, have to go out of my comfort zone.  Yet, when we are going in the Lord's will there is no better place to be.
We have to unplug to get there though.

Father, You are what we need to plug into.  Your Word, Your love, Your forgiveness, Your purpose for each of us. The world is captivating, yet it cannot compare in any form to how captivated we are in Your Presence.  Oh, one day we be confounded that we could ever have thought the world was grand.  Our presence in this place is brief, may we unplug from the tyranny of the urgent and look up with a listening heart to the assignment You have for us here this day.  In Jesus' name, amen.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?