It Makes Sense - To Use Jesus as our Measuring Stick

Lifting one another up and walking alongside one another.

January 28

God is really working on fine tuning me in the area of judgement.  I'm so quick to do it.  Flying home recently on a 6AM Allegiant flight,  I found myself sizing people up simply by appearances.  On both VERY early morning flights we encounter intoxicated people and I thought,
"Who drinks alcohol before 6AM."  I have a girlfriend who would probably reply, "Those of us who are petrified to fly."  She claims she has to drug herself to fly.  See there's always a deeper story than what our eyes think we behold.

There was the flight attendant who had definitely had some work done on a couple parts of her body.
Miss Flabby Wrinkledone here thought...Why would someone do that?  Needles to your face and surgery to implant foreign objects into your body?  She was probably looking at me thinking, "I bet her husband wishes she's at least put on some make-up and lift a few weights."

Across the aisle was the "Wish we were them" couple.  I know these people. He's a dapper dressing retired attorney and his wife is gorgeous and perfectly put together.  They shared with us that all their children have moved to their hometown and life is so great with all the grandchildren in town.  This "so much better than us couple" were heading off to play golf with friends in Florida for a week. I thought, "What a life!"

Had I been willing to get up at 3AM and not 3:30AM to make the flight I would have read the scripture verse slotted for this particular day in my journal.

"I realize how kind God has been to me, and so I tell each of you not to think you are better than you really are. Use good sense and measure yourself by the amount of faith that God has given you. A body is made up of many parts, and each has its own use.  That's how it is with us. There are many of us, but we each are part of the body of Christ, as well as part of one another."  Romans 12:3-5

I don't know if any of the people I referenced above know the Lord, but I do know that not one of us can measure up to the faith walk Christ exhibited on earth for us.  When we start to be Judging Julie and Jims, let's look to the One who is our measuring stick and be thankful for the way He loves us, for the purposeful way we've been created. Instead of judging, we can begin to measure the appreciation we have for one another and God's perfect plan for each individual.

Lord, You have been oh so kind to me.  Thank You for loving me wrinkles, flab, sins and all.  Thank You for the body of Christ who surrounds me and uses its strengths to walk alongside me on this earthly journey called life. Forgive me when my mind starts to wander and wonder about things into which I really have no clue or proper insight.  Increase my love and appreciation for others.
In Jesus' name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?