Finish Strong


Yesterday, Deke picked up his father's ashes.
We look forward to a time this summer we can honor the passing of both of his parents.

Rarely do I tell names and tales together on this devotional site. I do this today with all honor and respect and hopefully a testimony that encourages each of you to finish strong.

Life is cyclical and subject to outside influences, as we are all currently experiencing, that can lead us to a variety of behaviors. Last week, we learned of two heart wrenching suicide situations, which have deeply affected the family and friends of the deceased in staggering ways. Those choosing suicide are obviously so distraught that they have no idea the unraveling of lives they leave for loved ones who are trying to sort this action out. There is so much left unsaid.

My father in law was an intriguing character.  A World War II vet who rarely spoke of his war experiences until his 80's.  Being shot and receiving a purple heart was news to me.  Some of his actions the past fifteen years brought hurt and discord in the family.  Three years ago, while he was hospitalized with the flu I suggested he seek forgiveness from several of his children and speak his love over them.  His reply, "I'm not going to do it!"  With his defenses up, he retaliated by speaking disrespectfully of a decision my father had made before he died and definitely ruffled my feathers.  Grasping for James 1:19 and the Holy Spirit's control,  I was able to speak in my father's defense and leave that hospital room in love.

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger."

This past fall his wife died and I think some pride did too.  He began to soften and our weekly visits were filled with heartfelt discussions and always ended in prayer. Any time I brought a friend along on a visit, he would tell them about what a great man my father was and tell of the amazing roads and bridges his company built. One day, after my girlfriend left, I thanked him for his kind words. He explained, "I can't say what I want to"...and I interrupted and said, "I know what is in your heart."

Hmm, was he referring to "Love Story" where love means never having to say you're sorry?  No.
Was part of his Marine training that saying you are sorry shows weakness? I'm not sure.  What I am sure of is that instigating forgiveness and reconciliation is a sign of strength and trust in the Lord.

The last seven months I had with this man were the best months of the 41 years I've spent as his daughter in law.  We had real conversations about how God has plans to use us whatever the stage of our lives.  While a stroke had left his speech impaired, I told him he still had his mind, his hearing and the ability to be a great listener. We prayed through how the necessary move to a nursing home would afford him the opportunity to listen to and then pray for an assortment of people.  Other residents, the staff, nurses, and visitors.  He was a favorite of the nurses and therapists at that nursing home. They loved on him and even called him by his nickname, "Timer".

While he laid his pride aside and softened, he honored God, brought peace to his family and finished strong.  We should all do the same.

Today would have been my sweet, sweet Daddy's 100th birthday!  Oh, what a celebration that would have been.  He was a man who lived in a way that never required having to say I'm sorry. He always put others first.  Truly, the most selfless man I've ever known.


Today's Coloring Page Promise
"For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by ear, nether has the eye seen a God besides You, who acts for the one who waits for Him."  Isaiah 64:4

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?