Remembering

Remembering how God saw me through through my stroke recovery brings me peace.
My sweet harpist who visited and encouraged me and so many others every day in the rehab.

"Then take care lest you forget the Lord, 
who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."  
Deuteronomy 6:12

The hospital sign our daughter saw from the ambulance as I was being taken to the hospital.
Will they have to take this down because of hand holding? I hope not.

These two little snuggle bugs who would come to the rehab hospital in the afternoons to cheer me.
Let's pray daily for everyone in a hospital room or nursing home without their family by their side.

My husband who would drive 8 hours on the weekend from Virginia to visit me in Nashville.

When struggles and trials arise it helps to look back and remember God's goodness, his faithfulness and all that he has seen us through. Remembering the past teaches us countless lessons about how to live out today.  

We should make calling up the memories of God a daily exercise!  For when we forget God, we turn our hearts from him and worship other gods.  I've heard many a message which states: 
"The action of sin is preceded by the forgetting of God."

Think back to the cycle the Israelites found themselves in which took them further and further from the heart of God.
Sin-rescue-worship-sin. 
The book of Judges illustrates the fundamental problem with the human heart: when God’s people forget Him, they inevitably turn away to worship other gods. 

I can't remember where I read the article below, but I had achieved on my computer from before this pandemic. It 's a great reminder of what we need to remember about God!

"The Israelites forgot.  They failed to remember the miraculous events that had brought them to their promised land. They dismissed God's sacred word and holy commands.  Yet despite treating the Lord with contempt, God remembered His holy covenant with them-and because of His great love for His people, He disciplined them so they might repent of their sins and return to Him.  He raised up judges to rescue Israel from her enemies, but the liberations were only temporary because of the nation's rebellious heart.

Sadly, this pattern of bondage-deliverance-blessing, followed by sin and bondage again, is a present reality in many Christians lives today. It stems from spiritual amnesia.  The antidote to this is found in Deuteronomy 8:1-20, where the Lord admonishes His people repeatedly to remember the God who led them through the wilderness and to never forget His statutes.

When our present hardships look too big to handle we must recall His great faithfulness.  When sin has brought us into shame, we must remember the blood of Jesus and its power to cleanse and restore.  When we find ourselves weighed down by anxiety and worry, we must remember that His peace passes understanding. When we find ourselves being disciplined by the hand of God, we must recollect that He disciplines those whom He loves. 
(Hebrews 12:5-11)."

Our memory is a gift to be treasured.  Open it today and share a personal story of God's faithfulness with others. 

Share today's coloring page promise with a health care worker or the corona virus task force.  

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me. I am meek and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  Matthew 11:28-29




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?