Stand By Me

And my God will meet all your needs 

according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. 

Philippians 4:19 

Looking down at my phone Saturday afternoon, I realized I'd missed a call from the husband of a long time friend.  Concern crept in immediately. He was letting me know his wife had been diagnosed with an inoperable tumor on her esophagus and the attempts at chemo were not helping and making her feel awful, so she had requested hospice.  This was 10 years to the day that our mutual friend, whom I wrote about Saturday, had died.

Our eldest children met in kindergarten and we mommas became quick friends, as did all of our children.  She's the type of friend who is comfortable walking in your house unannounced and doesn't allow the chaos of a household of six children phase her at all. If she had to wipe a runny nose or change a diaper, she'd be on it.  The kind of friend, who when your mother just died, takes over your kitchen and has lunch for 64 waiting at your house after the funeral service. The girlfriend who has an apron waiting for you if you walk in her house and cookie baking is going on. The type of bestie who brings her whole family to spend the night when there is a forecast for a major snowstorm!

This friend most importantly is another example of a Jonathan/David relationship.  The friend that draws you closer to Jesus. A friend who prays for you without ceasing.

Presently she is unable to speak due to a major stroke that happened Friday.  Yesterday,  as I stood by her bed her eyes, her smile and the grip on my hand told me she knew who I was.  Instead of good-bye I held on to her and said, "I wish I could go with you, but I will see you soon."

As we walked away from the house my heart tug was great after hugging her husband and three children.  I turned to my husband and said, "I need a stiff one. Please take me to Bojangles for a sweet tea."

Grief has a grip on me right now, but as one of our sons told me Saturday, "You are blessed to have had such a close friend all these years." A friend that makes your heart hurt when they leave you behind on earth.

Responding to the texts from our daughter and another dear friend who were inquiring on how the visit went.  I explained, "It was emotional for sure. Since leaving her house I've found myself selfishly wanting more time with close friends compared to some other responsibilities the Lord has called me to.  Trying to allow the Lord to work with me through those feelings tonight I pretty much lost the battle as He impressed upon me..."You are called to serve and live sacrificially."  Negotiations on my part quickly began as I played the "balance is good" card.

Our daughter responded with a beautiful prayer. "Father, thank you for  allowing us to be honest and vulnerable with you.  I am drawn to my mom's consistency to do that and how you speak clearly to her.  I pray that You would encourage her and be with her in her grief.  Thank you that you grieve with her.  I pray that as she seeks you, you would meet her with your abundant love and grace.  I pray that You, God of hope, would fill her with all joy and peace as she trusts in you and that she would abound in the hope the Holy Spirit provides.  In Jesus' name."

We are called to "stand" with one another in mourning and rejoicing. Thank you sweet daughter for doing just that and for always reminding me that Jesus is always standing by us and holding us up.

The Songs

"Stand By Me Friend Medley" by Anthem Lights

https://www.christianradio.com/features/video/4-men-sing-medley-of-friendship-songs/


"More Than You’ll Ever Know" by   Watermark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqrKkS8j0Ds

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?