Prayers For a Friend

This may be my favorite photo of 2022. 
When our 3 year old granddaughter goes into Target, she holds the mannequins hands.

Being a pastor's wife opens you to a life of burden bearing. If people can't reach the pastor, they often go for the wife.  A week doesn't pass where heartache is expressed and prayers needed. Learning to lay those burdens at the feet of Jesus is critical.

Last week two close friends outside of our congregation shared heart wrenching diagnosis's.    One of breast cancer and another with stage 4 uterine cancer.

I wanted to pass along what I wrote to one of them. You may have a friend who needs similar encouragement.

When I awakened at 5:45. I found God already had me praying for you. It was so powerful and obviously the Lord. 

The prayer was that the Lord will keep you in perfect peace if you keep your mind stayed upon him. I knew that was a scripture verse and searched for it.  Isaiah 26:3
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
Lord, You will keep my friend in perfect peace throughout this health battle because she has enormous faith and trusts in you.  Strengthen her both physically, mentally and emotionally by filling her with Your Holy Spirit in the days ahead.  Remind her that Your mercies are new every morning and no weapon formed against her will prosper.  In a way that only You can do, allow her to keep her eyes on You and not lose heart. In Jesus Name.
As I pray for you my friend, I pray as Jesus did believing with God all things are possible, saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”  Luke 22:42
God certainly did not bring this disease upon you, it may simply be because we live in a fallen world which includes disease and illness. He may be allowing it for some reason knowing He can use it for great good.  As I look back on some of the most painful, disruptive things I have gone through in my life, I can now see God was working things for his glory in all things.  I’ve probably shared stories from our son’s horrific car accident.  So many lives were changed through that journey.  People whom we didn’t even know were watching how we, as a family, waded through those waters.  Nine high school students at a Young Life camp, two of our other sons were attending, gave their lives to Christ. The patient care rep in the ER at UVA came to me and asked where we went to church, because she wanted to go there and have a faith and fellowship with others like we did.  People in the ICU asked for the ministers who came from out of town to visit our  family to come in and pray over their loved ones.  It was crazy to realize all the people who were watching us. I know God is going to do the same thing with you.
We forget that these times of suffering aren’t just about what God is doing in us, but they have the ability to affect everyone we encounter.
Ephesians 3:20 says Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us.
Set a reminder on your phone for 3:20PM.  Each day my phone pings to remind me of this promise.
Here’s the other thing the Lord told me.  He said to tell you to be sure to be putting into yourself more of Him and less of the world, especially with what you read.  🤷‍♀️ Then there was an image of the mark of the cross, like on the Christian books in the library. He said to take an inventory of your bookshelves, whatever reader you are using and see if the majority of what surrounds you has you pouring scripture and God’s principles into your life.  (It was so vivid, it had me doing the same.  In every room of our house there are books that point others to Christ.  Not so much in my listening library on my phone. I think this is as much for me as for you.)
He gave me a picture of a pitcher of refreshing water being poured over you. If you have a pretty pitcher set it out as a reminder. Maybe print all these verses off I’ve sent and put them inside the pitcher. I’ll put them together here.
but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.  John 4:14
He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water. John 7:38 
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.           Isaiah 26:3
Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.  Luke 22:42
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us. Ephesians 3:20 
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.               Lamentations 3:22-23
No weapon formed against you shall prosper.  Isaiah 54:17
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16
You have probably already started this, but get a notebook to journal all that God is doing.  Enter the text you sent the Prayer Group to pray, things our daughter came and prayed over you, and these verses.  List everyone you encounter along the way, the unexpected blessings that pop up.  This will be a treasure for you to look back over, but even more so a legacy to leave for your children and grandchildren showing how you and Jesus walked through this time.
The Song   "Prayer for a Friend"  Casting Crowns

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?