Be In Relationship




When our blonde, long legged grandchildren from Minnesota and Florida meet 
in the winter, the sunshine state is definitely the destination!


God created us to be relational with others, but foremost with Him.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. Revelation 3:20

“Teacher, what is the most important commandment in the Law?” Jesus answered: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.  This is the first and most important commandment. The second most important commandment is like this one. And it is, 'Love others as much as you love yourself.' All the Law of Moses and the Books of the Prophets are based on these two commandments."  Matthew 22:36-40

Our schedules stay so packed. Ask the Lord, "What relationship is it You desire me to invest time in today?  One with the Lord and one with another. Now go make the appointments.

I wrote this challenge on Monday not knowing what Tuesday would hold. I took my husband for MOHS surgery about 45 minutes away in the city we both spent the first 4o some years of our lives.. I'm quite fond of the surgeon and her nurse who has scooped some cancer out of me as well, so I knit them each a red and white dishcloth for Valentines day, included a couple scripture verses about God's love and a note about their dedication to helping people heal.

Then I knitted an extra one and asked the Lord to open my eyes in the waiting room where I would be for hours, to whom He wanted me bestow this little gift upon. The first thing the surgeon shared with me was that a mutual friend was battling ovarian cancer. I was shocked the friend hadn't told me, so I immediately texted her. She said she didn't want to put a downer on Christmas and my birthday for me.  I asked if I could come by on our way home from the surgery and she said "Yes!" I knew the dishcloth was for her!

It's the sweetest story of how we met 32 years ago. She is Egyptian and was brand new to the US.  Her husband was doing his medical residency here in the states. Her daughter, who spoke no English, was enrolled in our son's preschool class. The preschool director asked me if I would befriend this family and help them acclimate to life in our city.  They lived in an apartment near the hospital.  Her mother, who still doesn't speak English, had come here with her as well. They invited my son and me over and cooked a lovely meal us and the friendship began.  Her husband eventually became our doctor and she went on to complete her medical degree with a specialty in geriatrics. She has been a huge blessing to our community serving in nursing homes and now at the VA. 

I don't know about y'all, but for me at this stage of life, I wish all I had to do was visit precious friends and family members I don't have the opportunity to see nearly enough. FaceTime is nice, but there is nothing like a warm embrace, holding hands while we pray together, rubbing the back of a weeping friend, and being able to reach over and wipe a tear from a face.

Danny Gokey says it right in his song...Love God and love people!

The Song

"Love God and Love People" Danny Gokey  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ8D2Mx7tGg



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?