An Example

The example of a father coaching his son's basketball team to victory. 

Being laid up with knee, hip and back pain I thought it would be enjoyable to learn to make a small quilt. On a good day, when I was mobile, I went into a local quilt shop and saw they had a one day "make it and take it" quilt class coming up.  I selected my fabric, paid my feel and then noticed that before I came I had to cut over 200's  6 x 6" squares. The instructor said, "Do you have a rotary cutter?" No, I don't. "Well you will need to come in ahead of the class so we can show you how to use one."

The day I was to come in I couldn't walk well enough to get to the shop, so I called and said, "Can't I just Youtube it?"  The reply, "No, no.  You may ruin your fabric.  You need to come in learn by example."

The same day I was reading in my "Decrease" devotional and the scene before me in John 13 was that of Jesus and the disciples where he insists on washing their feet.

After Jesus had washed his disciples' feet and had put his outer garment back on, he sat down again.Then he said: Do you understand what I have done? You call me your teacher and Lord, and you should, because that is who I am. And if your Lord and teacher has washed your feet, you should do the same for each other.  I have set the example, and you should do for each other exactly what I have done for you. I tell you for certain that servants are not greater than their master, and messengers are not greater than the one who sent them. You know these things, and God will bless you, if you do them. John 13:12-17

That got me thinking of all the examples Jesus has set for us in God's Word.

1) He exemplified dependence on the Holy Spirit in numerous ways...filled with and led by the Spirit Luke 4:1; rejoiced in the Spirit Luke 10:21; obedient through the Holy Spirit. Hebrews 9:14  

2) He exemplified the importance of obedience to His Father's will...Jesus said, "I seek not to please myself but him who sent me."  John 5:30

3) He exemplified the importance of prayer...the busier he got the more he prayed. "But so many people were coming and going that Jesus and the apostles did not even have a chance to eat. Then Jesus said, 'Let's go to a place where we can be alone and get some rest.'" Mark 6:31

4) He exemplified the importance of knowing God's Word. He used it everyday.  Mark 12:24

5) He exhibited the pattern of exalting His Father. John 14:10

6) He showed us how to love one another. "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another." John 13:34

Can we say, "Where You lead I will follow?"  Luke 9:57

As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”

The Song

"I Will Follow Jesus" Monica Scott Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TR-DBS_FM


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?