Make it Count

 I saw a new heaven and a new earth. The first heaven and the first earth had disappeared, and so had the sea. Then I saw New Jerusalem, the holy city, coming down from God in heaven. It was like a bride dressed in her wedding gown and ready to meet her husband. I heard a loud voice shout from the throne: God's home is now with his people. He will live with them, and they will be his own. Yes, God will make his home among his people.  He will wipe all tears from their eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. These things of the past are gone forever. And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”  Revelation 21:1-5

Our pastor lifted a spray bottle in the air and squirted it while quoting James 4:14 "...you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes."
That image has stayed with me and brought to mind the question which surfaces time and again.  "What am I here for?"  Why did God go to the trouble of creating each one of us?"
I chuckled as I've been working on a birthday dinner for a friend the past few days. Grocery shopping to finally surrender to the defeat of not finding lady fingers for a special dessert. Cleaning to realize the "little people" I love will be back again soon with their creative clutter. Flipping through cookbooks to realize the cold gazpacho and watermelon salsa I have made probably need to be replaced with a cup of hot chocolate and warm chili, as it has barely broken 60 degrees and is pouring rain adorned with a heavy breeze.
Why did I go to all this trouble?  Because, I love this person and want to honor her.
Our lives should reflect our love for God and desire to honor Him.  The best way for this to happen is to spend time daily with Him and finding out His plans for us.  We will be with Him forever, but before we arrive in heaven and finally reside on a new earth there is work to be done on this old broken earth.  Make it count for Jesus. He does a whole lot for us everyday.
The Song
"Jesus Does" We The Kingdom

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?