Comfort Comments

Our 7 year old lacrosse player
Our 9 and 12 year old skateboarders
A bunch of our 5-43 year old snowboarders enjoying the playground of life.

We want to be comfortable. What thread count do you prefer your sheets? Do you have lumbar seats in your car (now they even have seats with masasge rollers? The fabrics we can wear on our bodies and cushioning that can be found in our shoes make everyday life a little more comfortable physically.

We want to be comfortable emotionally and do some quick head turning to avoid uncomfortable situations and drop calls to stay clear of uncomfortable conversations.

I've searched, but cannot find the verse that says... this world is all about you and is free from strife and stress.

James 1:2-4 tells us very clearly we will have trials and those trials have purpose.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
When I head to the playground with our grands I am equipped for uncomfortable situations. I take along towels in case the slides are wet, a change of clothes in case anyone has an accident, wipes for sticky or messy situations, bottles of water for when the kids are hot and sweaty and a snack to help recharge them. In my car I keep Neosporin, Band-aides,and sunscreen. I need a refill on cold packs. 
Life is like a playground filled with activity, excitement, challenges, injury and encounters with people of all kinds. Unlike a lounge chair by a pool at a fancy resort where your every need is provide for you, God is our provider and we lean into Him on the playground of life.
What the Bible does say about comfort is that it comes from God!

Deuteronomy 31:8

God never promises to free us from suffering entirely. Instead, He promises to be with us in our suffering to comfort us and to give us the grace to endure.


2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort. He comforts us in all our affliction


2 Corinthians 12:8–9

Three times I begged the Lord to make this suffering go away. But he replied, “My gift of undeserved grace is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak.” So if Christ keeps giving me his power, I will gladly brag about how weak I am.

Psalm 119:76

Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant. 


Matthew 5:4

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 


Psalm 119:50

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.


Lisa Whittle's comfort quotes give us good thoughts to ponder.

"Comfort has us desiring the easier path, craving a normal life where we do not do anything too out there for God."

"This was God's plan: to create humans with the inner longing for Him...Comfort and wanting God have a core incompatibility. Comfort is incompatible with serving. It is incompatible with radical living. ..Comfort stops the important conversations, settles us into a complacent life, convinces us we lack good opportunities to serve, justifies our inactivity...It hushes the God moanings inside and tells us, No need to listen You love God. This is enough."

The Song

“Not for a Moment” Meredith Andrews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoh26pC2RT8



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?