Lessons from the Spirit

June 30
The summer pace has been hectic and I have really missed the discipline of a regular Bible Study. The aftermath of Monday's storm had me outside for 5 hours today engaging in the tedious work of picking up twigs, limbs and branches and complaining to God about the work most of that time.
At one point with my back aching and my knees begging me to not squat down one more time, I pleaded with God to send someone to help. I kid you not, a robin hopped out in front of me and flew off with a twig. LOL Well, I guess that was answered prayer and one twig gone! Shortly after this encounter I heard myself say to God, "I can't do this anymore." He was quick to answer, "Oh, yes you can and you need this alone time with the Spirit to learn some lessons."
Evaluating the five acre situation I recognized how obvious the improvement appears when the huge fallen trees are removed, but the scattered limbs, branches and leaves still result in a less than perfect look across the lawn and they take longer to eliminate from the surface. Contemplating that idea drew my mind to think about our sinfulness.
Chopping down our pride and self-sufficiency and admitting our sinfulness and need for Christ is a huge clean up effort! The restoration process doesn't stop then though. We may become convicted and turn from our most wicked ways, but debris still remains and it takes a life time of continually asking Christ to come in and clean us up. Just as the weather changes, so does the intensity of our walk with the Lord. Lightning can still strike and cause catastrophic situations which catch us off guard and forgetting who is in control. It is those times we need to stay close and say, "Our God is faithful and mighty to save. He loves me and will be my guide."
Our yard is no where near cleaned up, but neither is my life! :)
Let's Pray:
Lord, may we allow ourselves the luxury of going off to a quiet place with You and being still before You. Will You build us up and send Your Spirit to teach us life lessons that make us more useful to You? May our encounter with the Spirit rejuvenate our souls and have more impact on us than the greatest cup of coffee with a super caffeine kick. Take the twigs in our life and mulch them up in a way that is an enhancement of who we are in You. In Jesus' Name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?