Vulnerable

June 8
Vulnerable:From the Latin vulnerare to wound. Webster defines vulnerable as being capable of being physically or emotionally wounded; open to attack or damage.

Five weeks ago a repairman had come to look at our ice maker. He said it was working fine, but no sooner had he left than we had to call and say it stopped working. We've waited patiently, but had to call again to inquire when he could get by. My husband called me to say he has spoken with him and he would be coming right over. Hearing his van approach I opened the door and cheerfully told Moses to show him his bone. This is a routine we go through and normally people respond with a kind word and Moses is happy. Instead this man's reply was, "I don't care about any dog's old bone." I laughingly said, "Oh, I thought it might be nice so he doesn't bike your ankles." He gruffly replied, as he pushed his way past me in the doorway, "He comes near me and I will kick him in the head! I am here to see an ice maker."
Shell shocked and feeling very vulnerable about this man and his tool box, I was frozen in my steps. Timidly.as he was heading down the steps to the basement, I inquired..."Is there a problem?" "I had to leave my daughter's school program and come straight here!" he barked at me, appearing to be an attack dog himself. "Was my husband angry with you when he called?" I asked. Never stopping in his stride he spoke back, "No, this isn't your problem, it is mine." Softly I called to Moses persuading him to join me upstairs. We retreated to the screen porch off my bedroom, hoping this fellow would fix what was necessary and be gone. I called my husband, told him what had happened and where we were hiding out. Opening my Bible I began to pray for peace. No, sooner had I picked up my Bible than the door to the porch opened. I jumped realizing this man had made his way upstairs and through my bedroom to find me. I realized how vulnerable I was alone in this house. Even if someone heard me scream, no one could get here in time to help me.
He apologized for scaring me and said he had been calling to me. He informed me he had what he needed and would get back to us. I sat motionless with Moses at my feet and waited to hear his van pull away. Heading to the front door, I locked it and wiped the tears of fear from my face.
Last week, one of my children shared with me a fearful situation they were encountering and explained how God has used these words in Mark 4 to speak:
"Why are you so afraid? Do you still have not faith?"
Those words rang out to me in my situation.
"Why had I allowed fear to enter in?"
Today's verse in Streams in the Desert is: 1 John 5:4
Everyone born of God overcomes the world.
This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

Around every corner joy robbers await!
We are instructed in God's Word to be on the alert for these situations.
The older I get the more recognizable the battle becomes, but am often slow to remember who the Victor is.

Lord, You are the Ultimate Authority, You have the last word. How blessed we are to call You our Omnipotent Defender and Omnipresent Protector. Forgive us when we waiver in Your armor and tremble at the devil's schemes. Bring to recall in our minds that our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the world for which You have a pit awaiting. When our vulnerability exercises its reign in our lives, have scripture flow from our mouths and cover our minds with the mighty power which is found therein and raise us up to walk with confidence, because we know to whom we belong. In Jesus' Name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?