Think-Stand Alone Products


February 19
He (Jesus) came back and found them sound asleep. He said to Peter, "Simon, you went to sleep on me?  Can't you stick it out with me a single hour?  Stay alert, be in prayer, so you don't enter the danger zone without even knowing it.  Don't be naive. Part of you is eager, ready for anything in God' but another part is as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire.   Mark 14:37-38

Here's what I (Solomon) want" Give me a God-listening heart so I can lead your people well, discerning the difference between good and evil.  For who on their own is capable of leading your glorious people?   1 Kings 3:9

We need to think with discernment in this world when it comes to the products we purchase, the personal relationships we choose, the politicians we vote for, the schools our children attend and the faith we practice.

While I will not "dis" by name the stores in which I am about to refer, their practices are a good example of how we get suckered in to "deals" which are not really deals.  We fall prey to these tactics, because we believe without thinking.  There are two stores which I frequent. One, because it is the only one of its genre in the tiny town in which we live.  The other because it is a specialty store (for crafty people) and the only place I can buy certain products.  Both of these companies send weekly email coupons, which lure me their way, sometimes just because I don't want to pass up getting $5 off! (Reading the fine print, I have to spend $25 to save $5.) Their marketing techniques worked well until one day I was shopping in a much bigger city.  I had gone to Target (I will disclose the name of this store as I am speaking in a positive manner) for an assortment of baby related items.  Diapers, wipes, formula, etc.  Later, our son-in-law came home with a 30% off coupon for one of the store chains I referred to originally.  We made a long list of needs and planned to go together for this great savings. I was kicking myself for having purchased the expensive baby items before I knew about this deal.  Heading down the baby aisle I wanted to see how much savings I had passed by.  To my surprise the items were MUCH more expensive at this second store and even with the 30% off discount, I still saved more at Target.  My blood pressure spiked a bit as I realized I'd been duped.  My comparison shopping skills had fallen by the way, because of the lure of the coupon deal!

How keen are our discernment skills?  How closely do we monitor our children's text books, ask to see the course syllabus  and discuss with our children the comments their teachers made that day.  Textbooks are on the way out and it will become more and more difficult for parents to gain access to what their children are being taught.

I never know for certain where the Spirit will lead me each day when it comes to these writings.  Today, He is taking me a bit out of my comfort zone, but prepped me for this process last night as I was reading in Lloyd John Ogilvie's book, Drumbeat of Love. Ogilvie wrote: "Until we are fully dependent upon him (Holy Spirit), completely open to do his will, and unreservedly willing to act on his timing, he cannot use us."
So here I go getting a little bit political, of which I normally steer clear.  Night before last our neighbor called suggesting I turn on Fox News and listen to a pediatric neurosurgeon who had spoken at the National Prayer Breakfast.  Dr. Ben Carson has awakened my soul to the importance of being a nation who THINKS.  Tapping into the fact that the majority of voters enter the booth and simply pick a name, which they think they heard good things about, he very eloquently spoke to the importance of educating our populous.
We serve a God who is ABLE. Able to bring revival back to this land. Able to return America to the great nation it once was.  Able to bring moral excellence and character back to us and to future generations.  It may require us both thinking and standing alone at times as our voice is heard, but we do need to speak up when the Spirit leads.  Thank you Dr. Carson, for speaking up and reminding Americans we are a democracy (not a monarchy) and the president works for us.  Jesus is the only King over us for now.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?