The Free Gift



May 17
Running into a department store to pick up a pair of shoes,  I was startled by an announcement over the loud speaker.  Two ladies were talking at the register next to me and I couldn't make out what was said on the PA system, but no one moved, so I assumed it was not an emergency. While I was paying, the man's voice came on again..."Come immediately to the table by on the first floor, by the down escalator for your free gift. These will be given out on a first come basis."  I had to pass that section on the way out of the store and sure enough about 20 ladies appeared mesmerized by a gold box on the platform stage and the man in the purple shirt who was touting the benefits of this little red plastic corer/juicer. He was from QVC (I think those are the right letters for the home shopper's network). Like the others, I was suckered into watching his show and receiving a "free gadget".
But wait!!!  He shouted, "Now ladies, what comes after one? Yes, "two",  we have another gift for you."  Out comes this shining silver grater. And the show began.  Ten minutes into his demonstration I really needed to go, but I was tempted and thought I actually might enjoy this kitchen aide.  Then the catch came..."It regularly retails for $29.95, but....", I was out the door. It wasn't a free gift. The gift part was the discount.  Disgusted with myself for being suckered in, I hustled to my car.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, 
it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast.  
For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, 
which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:8-10

Salvation is a free gift!  We cannot earn it or pay for it.
We simply must admit we need it and receive it by faith, there's no catch!



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?