When Rejected By A Father

Davedaddy with his grandchildren and great grandchildren.
March 13
And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children,  
and the hearts of the children to their fathers,
lest I  come and strike the earth with a curse.
Malachi 4:6

"I don't know what a loving Father looks like.  My father died when I was four." 
"My father was an alcoholic and I have no fond memories of  him."
"I remind my father of my mother, whom he divorced years ago. He wants nothing to do with me. He's remarried and started a new family."
All of these quotes have been stated by women sitting in our living room at one time or another.

Being raised by a father who was the most extravagant giver with a loving and selfless personalty makes it difficult to comprehend the depth of the hurt these women suffer.  They would tell you the lack of those traits in a father makes it difficult to embrace God as Father.

See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand!  I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you.  See that there is nothing in my hand to indicate that I am guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life. 1 Samuel 24:11

Saul was David's king, mentor and father figure who flat out let jealousy and suspicion overtake him as he sought to kill David. It is an amazing story where David finds himself TWICE standing over a sleeping king with the opportunity to kill him and thus protect himself, but he doesn't lift the sword.

The opportunity to "make things right" through retaliation and revenge might bring relief in the moment, but it doesn't bring peace in our hearts.  John Bevere made this statement:
"If your father figure or leader is doing something sinful and wrong, instead of being offended, 
pray for that person.  God will correct him-that's His job, not yours. Refuse to take up an offense." 

Let's turn it into a prayer:
God, how blessed we are to call you, Father.  If our earthly father figures or leaders over our lives are doing something sinful and wrong, instead of being offended teach us to pray for that person.  Remove the responsibility from us to "correct them."  This is Your job, not ours. Though the pain may be great and frustrations about, may we refuse to take up an offense. In Jesus' Name.




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?