The Path…I Choose


April 26-27
God created us with free will and allows us to choose our path in life…and into eternity. This past weekend our daughter was visiting from Minneapolis.  One evening the around the table discussion led to the gender neutral issues she faces on a regular basis in that city. One of our daughter in laws laughed as she said I have the most perplexed look on my face as I tried to comprehend the gender neutral language, which our daughter was saying these friends of her's preferred she use when addressing them.

It saddens me that people have not experience the love of God, which allows them to see that they were fearfully and wonderfully made by a Creator. Whether  we are born male or female, black or white, with limbs or not, with downs syndrome or born blind, God see immense value in our life.  I know this is a tough topic.  My point in this devotional is not to address the topic, but to share with you the path God just directed me down, as I was thinking through this issue.  Once again, He has shown himself faithful to be aware of every detail of my life.

Two days after the discussion with our daughter, a friend stopped by to walk the scripture trails here at Shiloh. I shared with her how baffled I was over the "new" gender neutral pronouns.  I told her I was heading inside for some Jesus time and to come in and visit when she finished her walk.  Opening a drawer where I keep Bible studies, which I have yet to do, I took the one on top. I'd never seen this book before and surmise that someone gave it to me. It is called Divine Design by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Mary Kassain.  I was blown away as I began the introduction which focused on….are you ready….gender.
I want to share some of the notes I took that afternoon.  "God's eternal power and His divine nature find their ultimate expression in Christ.  Together male and female (gender) testify to the character of God and portray the greater reality of Christ and the church. Men were created to reflect the strength, love and self-sacrifice of Christ.  Women were created to reflect the responsiveness, grace and beauty of the bride He redeemed.  And marriage was created to reflect the covenant union of Christ and His bride."

A woman attending a "True Women's" conference stated, "When I approached gender roles from a human perspective the whole discussion seemed silly.  Then it clicked that God wants my womanhood to tell His story. I was wrapped up thinking my womanhood was about me, my relationship and what I wanted out of life. Ultimately, its not about me, but about telling the story of Jesus."

That helped me so much!  The big difference lies in the paths we take. Are we living a life…all about us and what we want it to be or do we believe we were created by a loving God and we are seeking His purpose for us, while on this short earthly journey before we head home? 

Two days later my husband emailed me an article, to make me aware of how far this issue going.  (Our daughter had already shared the "Y" she attends has added gender neutral locker rooms.)  You can read below what is happening to high school sports in Minnesota and South Dakota.
"The South Dakota High School Activities Association is considering a proposal that would allow transgender students to participate in extra-curricular activities according to their self-identified gender rather  than the gender listed on their records.  Meanwhile, the Minnesota State High School League is about to begin the same discussion. 'Our legal counsel is in the process of drafting a transgender policy,' said MSHSL director of information Howard Voigt. 'More than likely, it's going to be on the agenda for consideration at the June 2 meeting.' Transgender is a term for a person who does not identify with the gender assigned to them at birth. A transgender extra-curricular policy, for instance, could mean that a boy could play girls basketball or girls volleyball if self-identifying as a girl."

It's my understanding from our daughter that her gender neutral friends do not see themselves as a he or she. Not sure what team they would go out for.  A young man having dinner here the other night described it as confusing and all at the dinner table agreed, God is not a god of confusion.

God is keeping his finger  upon me and walking me through my concerns. Yesterday, he sent this excellent devotional by James MacDonald on Whose Path are you on?  As of today, I'm sticking with God's way!  Do I love my friends on other paths….absolutely.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?