What We Don't See



Have you watched My Fair Lady recently?  Do you remember the song "I've Grown Accustomed to His Face"?

I've grown accustomed to his face He almost makes the day begin
I've grown accustomed to the tune he whistles night and noon
His smiles, his frowns, his ups and downs
Are second nature to me now Like breathing out and breathing in
I was serenely independent and content before we met
Surely I could always be that way again and yet
I've grown accustomed to his looks, accustomed to his voice Accustomed to his face


We are currently embroiled in the arduous task of cleaning out my in law's home of 65 years.  One thing that has been interesting to me, as we've considered an estate sale, is the things we grow accustomed to and don't notice their flaws.  The chips on the china, the nicks and scratches on the furniture, the fading of upholstered fabric and the tarnish on the silver. 
We live day in and day out with flaws around us, but they become comfortable.

Sin is like that.  We become comfortable with our heart's tarnished flaws.

"If we say that we have not sinned, we are fooling ourselves, and the truth isn't in our hearts."
1 John 1:8

While these flawed material items lose their value due to the imperfections, those of us in Christ don't have to worry about our value.  We are so precious to God that he sent his only Son to die for us, to pay the price for our imperfections, so that we may stand unblemished before our heavenly Father one day.

"Christ himself suffered when he died for you, and with that one death he paid for your sins.  He was not guilty, but he died for people who are guilty.  He did this to bring all of you to God. In his physical form he was killed, but he was made alive by the Spirit."  1 Peter 3:18

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?