A Failure to Communicate

 



Oh, my I am laughing out loud.  For the first time, since our daughter's wedding fifteen years ago, we decided to spare our backs and hire someone to take on the massive job of mulching at Shiloh. The crew we hired is delightful and unbelievably hardworking, but there is a bit of a language barrier. "You just show me" was the simple solution. I explained we would be out of town one specific day for a grandson's birthday, but as we traveled towards Charlottesville that morning the "Ring" thing on our doorbell went off alerting my phone someone was at the front door.

My husband became tickled as he reflected on my communication attempt with the "Ring" app which works like a walkie talkie.  He said in his best "Cool Hand Luke" voice, "What we have here is a failure to communicate."  

It was the equivalent struggle as when I,  in my southern drawl, am on a customer service phone call with an Indian. They usually have me spell everything using the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie alphabet. Forty-five years ago when I was working on my pilot's license I had that nailed down.  Now it sounds like this...Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot...and from there, forgetting the rest, I just use names like George, Harry, Isabelle, Jackson, Kirby, Linda, etc. the rest of the way with exception of the correct usage of  "x-ray."

How many times today will God look at his children and say, "What we have here is a failure to communicate?"  The Lord's ways are not our ways. Unless we are soaking in His Word, absorbing his truths, learning by the power of the Holy Spirit to recognize his voice, we have a tendency to prefer the comfort and convenience of our ways and lack not only a willingness, but therein lack the faith to carry out his plans.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

 Isaiah 55:8

And He did not do many miracles there because of their unbelief. 

Matthew 13:58

My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding…Proverbs 3:1-5

The Song "I Will Follow" Chris Tomlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ohvhmGSfxI


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?