I Forgot



My head finally hit the pillow Saturday night at 11:30 after three non-stop days of ministry and yard work.  As I began to pray asking God to speak, a picture of two new hydrangea bushes and a freshly planted flowerbed popped into my mind.  An afternoon of downpours had forced us to stop our work and head inside to ready ourselves for a "thank you" party for our church Easter volunteers. Alas, we had not gone back outside to put our deer fencing back up when everyone went home.

Jumping out of bed in my night gown, I donned my raincoats and a puffer jacket, a cup to scoop Deer Scram, and flipped on the flood lights.  If the fishermen were out on the lake they are still trying to figure that picture out.  I forgot to turn off our door alert alarm, so as I came back into the basement I encountered a very groggy husband standing there saying, "What are you doing?"

The all too familiar phrase resounded...."I forgot..."

Sundays for a pastor are like the day of a wedding.  The clock has run out,  it's go time. Will the week's preparations fall into place?  Prayerfully the musicians, soloists, video, lighting and sound people, coffee and food prep team, greeters, teachers, nursery workers, security, scripture readers, janitorial staff, minister and guests all show up and carry out there duties. Then six hours later it's all over and you go home and sleep! 

That Saturday kicked off a particular week where we had a funeral and five different church events on the calendar requiting food be served. Hallelujah! We can break bread (and cupcakes) together again! 

And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, 

to the breaking of bread and the prayers.

Acts 2:42

Laden with box after box of luncheon paraphernalia I shuffled my pastor out the front door and turned to head to the shower and there I saw it...the forgotten phone. It's a good thing our neighbors aren't close. Seven hours after the pajamaed Deer Scram episode, this crazy woman in the same night gown was running for the driveway giving a load whoop and screaming, "Wait! Your phone, your phone!"

Just as easily, we forget who God is and all his capabilities.  Nothing is too difficult for Him. This is affirmed in the Scriptures again and again.  

Ah, Lord God! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you. Jeremiah 32:17

Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me? Jeremiah 32:27

 

I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. Job 42:2


Jesus looked at them and said, “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God. Mark 10:27


We will forget our car keys (maybe even where we parked our car), people's names, and to add a key ingredient to a recipe, but God's Word reminds us to never forget all of the benefits of being His beloved.


Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits... Psalm 103:2


The Song "Bless the Lord" Matt Maher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDGE_lRI0E




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?