Just Laugh

 


As I prepared to dress for Sunday morning I could hear Paul's words to Timothy in my mind...

I desire...  likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.  1 Timothy 2:8-10

We were introducing a candidate to serve in our children's and youth ministry. I would need to sit up on the front row with this couple and then stand for two hours at a reception afterwards.
Wearing white pants and a pretty blue top I selected these slip on sandals.  The fact they were at least 15 years old didn't phase me. 

I made it though the first hour of greeting and a bit of usual Sunday morning scurrying around before I ventured down the center aisle to the front row.  As I turned into the row the soul of my right shoe totally separated from the insert part of the shoe.  Trying to not show shock in front of 500 people I gracefully took my seat beside this young candidate who was probably too nervous to notice my dilemma.  

At one point I instinctively went to cross my right leg over my left forgetting the problem until I looked down and 4" of bedraggled gauzy material was hanging from the bottom of what was still attached to my foot.  I'm guessing at one point in the life of this shoe it was a sort of cushioning.

Realizing in 45 minutes I was going to have to stand at the front church with this couple as people came to welcome them and then walk all the way to our lobby for the two hour reception, as people from all three campuses came to greet these people, I knew I needed some kind of fix.

One of my favorite members was one of the first people through the receiving line (Thank you Lord) and I asked, "Do you know where you could find some duct tape?  I have an issue," and showed him my shoe. He was puzzled, but said, "I'll take care of this. I have duct tape in my truck." And he did an amazing job, taping the toe, center and heel area. 

I made it through the reception and then as I was helping clean up in the kitchen the other shoe gave way. LOL My duct tape buddy was gone, but my husband gave me a couple rubber bands that would hopefully help me make it to through the gravel parking lot and to the car.  My girl scout lesson on preparedness was this...Keep a pair of flip flops or a hot glue gun in the car, because shoe glue doesn't last forever, and keep a good sense of humor at all times and laugh when things fall apart.

A shout out to my duct tape friend who is always ready to give a helping hand:

Carry each other’s burdens and so you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

Don’t forget to do good and to share what you have because God is pleased with these kinds of sacrifices.  Hebrews 13:16

The Song
"Smile" Sidewalk Prophets  (This is my summer theme song.)



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?