The Pointer

One of our Liberty University graduates from our church.

Three of the five high school graduates from our church recognition service yesterday. 

When our youngest two children were in high school our church hired a new youth pastor and the quote he was known for was..."It's all about Jesus".  That puts a positive twist on a not so popular realization..."It's not all about me". 

In actuality, there is freedom in that statement for when it is all about us being the center of the universe we set ourselves up for disappointment and failure.

Being in high school in the 70's we were always being told "Be what YOU want to be. YOU are #1. It's YOUR choice."  As I was preparing some notes for some high school and college graduates it saddened me how self centered so many quotes are.  

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got. There is no yesterday, no tomorrow, it's all the same day." Janis Joplin  

"The question isn't who's going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." Ayn Rand

On the cards I just wrote I went with...Seek the Lord. He will make your path straight" and "The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them.  Psalm 145:18-19

"God is in charge of outcomes, we are only responsible for offering." Author unknown.

Which direction does your pointer go?  Let's be pointers to Jesus.

The Song 

 "Waiting" John Waller (From the movie "Fireproof")  I have not seen this film but the lyrics from this sound track are powerful. They say: "I will worship and I will serve you while I wait."  That takes a load off of us.  Keep looking to Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gjXBMC8-oM

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?