The Gift

We never get these days back.

Hmm, right now my bed is covered in Christmas ornaments for the grands and I've been scrolling through Amazon to see if the 12 Advent Calendars I've ordered have gotten to all the grandchildren around the county.  Yikes. Heart adjustment for me Lord. How do I make this nonsense stop.

This is leading me to ponder like Mary and evaluate the joy of giving....I receive joy from giving, but the process could be simplified. 

Back in the days when our six were little, my mother and I would head to Toys R Us in October to shop for the children. She would buy three gifts for each of the children.  My mother in law would do the same as well as my husband and I.  That totaled 54 new toys in the house by the time we'd made the rounds to the grandparents' homes on Chistmas day!  Ridiculous!  By the time the children were 12 years old and under, my parents switched to taking us on a cruise for either Christmas or New Years!  It was so much simpler!

One year when all our children were married, except our "extra" daughter, Jiewon,  I came up with the grand idea of asking each couple and Jiewon to send me the link to a gift $30 or under that had enhanced daily life. I then ordered 6 of each of those gifts, wrapped all 42 gifts and everyone received six presents!  They didn't have to shop for one another and our gifts to them were selected by them!

Now all we want to receive is the gift of time with them.  When I look back on family holiday photos I long for those days. The privilege of nursing them, rocking them, watching them learn to ride a bike or a horse, care for a dog, compete in an athletic event, make a presentation at school or ask Jesus into their hearts were all just that....privileges.  

Think about what God has designed.  He has created us and watches the whole process of our earthly growth, but for him the best us yet to come when he calls us home with him forever. On this earthly training ground He is teaching us to love unconditionally, to forgive quickly, to not grow angry, to read our Bibles and pray without ceasing.

Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!"  2 Corinthians 9:15

The Song

The Gift Goes On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFcoXu0OlnY



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?