It's For Real

September 29 (I think)

A couple of days ago a neighbor called to say he was heading out of town for his son's wedding and if we needed to use his driveway for parking for our son's wedding to feel free to. My husband thanked him and asked where the wedding he was attending would be held. The reply, "Oh, we are going on a Disney cruise." Hanging up the phone, my husband said, "Not fair!" We are working away to prepare our yard, home and food and this man is going on a cruise! Sharing that story with a girlfriend last night she had great consolation for us. "A cruise is so impersonal." I laughed, "Well, I have to agree. Everyone hanging out around here gets pretty personal!"

God wants us to be personal with him. This morning my first thoughts were that I needed to go set butter out to soften, get some cakes going in the oven and make a "to do" list for the day. I knew better. For ten years I've written this daily devotional because I have learned that the best way to start a day is with Jesus. Excitement and energy flow out of me as I read His Word and realize He is for real, because He puts before me exactly what I need to hear that day. We need to share with one another how real our faith walks are, for in that exchange of experiences we spur one another on.

My days are all flowing into one another and my nights have not been filled with much sleep, but I think it was day before yesterday when I was talking to a dear out of town friend. Her husband's business has really been struggling to survive this economic down turn. I felt a strong urge to lie prostrate on the ground, Mose's dog hairs and all, and just call out to the Lord for them. Last night I received a copy of this email from her husband's top man in California, whom he was going to have to let go.
"A short while ago I walked over to the cafĂ© in the adjacent building to get a banana for breakfast. As I exited our building I noticed a man and a woman conversing in the breezeway between the buildings. I thought nothing of it as I passed them by and went on to purchase my banana. I returned to the office by the same route and the couple was still conversing as before. As I entered the door of our building, I heard the man speak to me...” Sir I saw you walk by a few minutes ago and as you passed I thought, that man’s business is getting ready to take off and I though I should tell you that.” I was stunned. This was a man I had only ever seen a moment before and asked him where did that come from? I told him our business was indeed struggling and we were in desperate shape. He said, “ I am a pastor and a man of God and the Lord spoke to me” I told him that I had been wrestling with God like Jacob all night and his prophetic word was a gift from God, and his witness was a confirmation of His grace. He laughed with joy and we embraced and I thanked him for stepping forward boldly with a prophetic word. He said to me, “three things you must protect your witness, your word and your walk”.

God’s name be blessed for He keeps His promises and His word is yea and amen…!!"

Ok, that is exciting. It is a for real experience, but it gets even better. I opened Streams in the Dessert today and check this out!
I am a man of prayer. Psalm 109:4
"All too often we are in a 'holy' hurry in our devotional time. How much actual time do we spend in quiet devotion on a daily basis? Can you think of even one person of great spiritual stature who did not spend much of his time in prayer? George Whitefield, the English preacher who was one of the leading figures in the eighteenth-century American revival known as the Great Awakening, once said, "I have spent entire days and weeks lying prostrate on the ground, engaged in silent or spoken prayer." Another quote listed was: "Fall to your knees and grow there."

I don't lie prostrate often enough and it is not a pretty site, me getting up off the floor these days, but I am heading there more often.

Lord, You are for real. You created us with the unique ability to communicate with You. What a privilege prayer is. Forgive us for the moments we have wasted. Funny Father, I doubt there is a one of us who did not have some say to us..."Eat your vegetables, they're good for you." We should tell one another..."Take time to pray and listen to the Lord, it is good for you!"
The sun is coming up again. You have work for us to do. There is joy to be experienced and hardships to endure, but we don't face anything alone. For that we say, "Thank You." In Jesus Name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?