E.T. Encounter

November 13
I so related to President Bush Thursday night as I heard parts of his interview with Bill O'Reilly. Mr. O'Reilly was stating how many people in the media hated Bush when he was in office and how he wished the President had fought back. President Bush replied that he wasn't a hater, so he really couldn't understand people who hate others. He said what he did know was that he is comfortable in his own skin, because he can look back and know he made decisions reflecting his character and strong morals.
Call me a nut, but I don't care. I am going to give testimony to what happened in my life yesterday.
This is the quote which was on my calendar.
"Trusting God is believing that He is good and wise even when we cannot explain all that is going on." Leith Anderson

My morning quiet time had taken me to the story in Matthew 8 of the leper who Jesus healed. Max Lucado writes a riveting saga of what life for a leper meant in Old Testament days. Telling your spouse and children good-bye as you are banished to a leper's colony where you would possibly never be touched again. Loneliness, longings and rejection become your new way of life. Those pictures were obviously tucked away in my mind as I headed out for a morning walk. I veered off my usual path to the driveway of a bank repossessed home. Looking down in the gravel driveway were enormous acorns. Picking up 5 with their great big caps on the Lord whispered..."Why do you just want the ones which are complete and intact?" "I don't know. I guess I find them more attractive and better to display," with honestly I replied. Ugh, then I experienced crummy feelings as brief thoughts of the leper story came to mind. Five more steps and I saw a beautiful crimson leaf which I picked up. "Hmm, didn't go for those old dried up brown ones did you?" my Maker gently confided. I considered grabbing a smashed acorn and a brown leaf, but they would have messed up my jacket pocket. Oooow. So like the world.
Turning my focus back to my praise music I continued up our driveway. About 30 feet from the main road I saw a skeleton of a man walking along. He was wearing a baseball cap, black warm up pants and a red fleece. At first glance it appeared he only had one arm as a hand could be seen out one arm of the jacket, but not the other. Stopping I started to turn and go back down my driveway to avoid an encounter, but then I thought of the leper whom no one wanted to touch. Also, I was concerned for the curve ahead in the road, which this man was walking towards. He was on the wrong side of the road and actually a bit in the street. "Good morning!" I hollered. He walked right over to me. "My name is Boo," I smiled, "what is your name?" "E.T., " he replied. Smiling up at Jesus, I thought...of course it is!
"I've never seen you out walking before. Where do you live?" I asked with a bit of concern in my heart for this fellow.
Putting his finger to his chin, he ponder and couldn't come up with a street name. "Well, which direction?" I asked with concern. Looking left and right on the street, he finally pointed towards the woods. We discussed the beautiful weather, how much I love Jesus, and how he felt there were very few people in church these days who actually knew Jesus. He said he loved to read his Bible. Then he asked me if he could hug me! Standing there by my mailbox we embraced. I told E.T. since he wasn't able to tell me where he lives, I would show him how to get to my house. Pointing to the number on my mailbox and pointing out the name on the street sign I asked him to come visit sometime. "Where is your wife?" I inquired. With gentleness and the kindest eyes he explained he didn't have a wife and that he was blessed he had never had to go to a doctor, but he got along fine. "Do you live alone?" was my next comment. Almost laughing as if I should know the answer he said, "I am never alone." "Oh, right," thinking how dumb of me..."we always have Jesus." "And the children," he added, "I call them the little ones." Hugging me again, he then looked me right in the eye and planted the gentlest kiss on my lips I've ever experience and he turned and began walking back the way he had come.
My first thought was to scurry down the driveway, get in my car and go look for him, but in my heart of hearts I don't think I would have found him. I turned to walk down another gravel road before going home and expected to see him standing there. God said, "I am so glad you are learning to expect me!" Plugging my IPOD back into my ear the song "Amen, Come Lord Jesus" was playing. With my hands lifted in the air I sang along not caring who heard me or thought I was crazy. The whole 1/2 mile walk home I wanted E.T. to show up. Twirling in the road like a five year old I felt as if I could fly as the sun shone brilliantly upon me. Obedience makes you feel that way...free!

Somebody needs to feel the Lord today. When we give ourselves way for Jesus we get so much more back.
Be watching!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?