Spiritual Maturity

November 12
I may have mentioned before that I have a hard time believing how old I am. I still think of myself as a young mother, not a grandmother. When I am with these young gals I feel like one of them. Chatting with some fellow teachers about an upcoming "Grandparents' Day" event and skit, I suggested some of us dress like grandparents. One of the 30 something teachers said, "And just how would that be Boo, since you are a grandparent?" I was shocked. I'd never thought of myself as a grandparent. Years ago, the Lord placed an elegant woman in my path at church to mentor me. For 25 years I've said, "If I ever grow up, I want to be like her." While I am all for being young at heart, when it comes to spiritual maturity I can't wait to be ancient!

Discussing a troublesome situation with a young woman just this week, my response was that I saw the situation at hand as an issue of disobedience and I wouldn't want to be consciously messing with God that way. I explained I felt it wasn't my place to interfere, but to pray and I shared with her a study from Habakkuk which has been a great training tool for me.

The study by Nancy Leigh DeMoss begins by telling a story about a teenager struggling with doubt about her salvation and coming into her parents' room at 2AM to find her mom on her knees by her bed praying. DeMoss says, "The concern of a mom who would kneel by her bed in the middle of the night is similar to that of the prophet Habakkuk, who was burdened for the spiritual well being of his people. After an impassioned plea for God to act on behalf of the nation of Judah, Habakkuk said, I will take my stand at my watchpost and station myself on the tower, and look out to see what he will say to me. Habakkuk 2:1
Habakkuk was not just on the lookout for dangers that could threaten his people's future. He was on his post, watching for God. He was waiting to hear from the only One who could truly help.Like a watchman, you need to be on the lookout for danger that threatens your family or other young people in your life. Like Habakkuk, and like the mom interceding in the middle of the night, that watching needs to be done on your knees before a God more powerful than any worldly threats."

Talking with another friend whose heart was crying out for her children I came up with this quote:
Pray it, don't say it!

The first young woman emailed me this:
"In our staff meeting this morning we talked about how spiritual maturity is measured by the length of time it takes you to trust God. The quicker you get to the place of knowing he's in control the more spiritually mature you are you are. (Boo) Seems like your time gets quicker and quicker!"

May we grow in grace!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?