Act Three-Our Hero

 Our son Deacon.


September 20
Just as I am not a fan of the scary parts of a movie, I'd rather pass on the details of the crucifixion.  Send me out for popcorn and a drink right now and you can buy the book to read this part and I will meet you back when the gals realize Christ is no longer in the tomb.  If I dug deep in honesty, the reason for not liking this part would probably be revealed in the fact that my sins plays a part in the necessity of the cross and Christ's sacrifice.   Forgive me, Lord. My sins are so costly.  
Each time I ponder the story, I think there had to be an easier way.

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.  Now remain in my love.
John 15:9

Yes, in every way what God did, coming to earth in human form to die for our sins, makes His story the ultimate love story.

I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the Lord. 
They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.
Jeremiah 24:7

The Son of Man came to give his life as a ransom for many.
Matthew 20:28

He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of 
the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Colossians 1:13-14

You've got to get Epic if for no other reason than to read pages 70-71 where Eldredge uses Titanic and Rose and Jack's relationship as an analogy for how Christ saved us.  I will give you a taste. He is talking about how Rose is "A prisoner to a man she doesn't love in a social circle bound by hypocrisy and betrayal."  If you saw the movie you will recall she was trying to end her life when Jack entered the picture.

 "When Jack comes to rescue her, it is the first time anyone has ever wanted her for her heart.  He sets her free from the small story she was living in and invites her up into beauty, intimacy, and adventure.  He takes her to the bow of the ship at sunset, and he asks her, 'Do you trust me?' In the same way, God has been wooing us all our lives, calling us up out of our small stories."

The writing continues in a delightfully dramatic manner and ends with Rose's famous quote, "He saved me in every way a person can be saved."

Eldredge closes out this chapter was just as much depth.  "The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth answer once and for all the question, 'What is God's heart towards me?' At the point of our deepest betrayal, when we had run our farthest from him and gotten so lost we could never find our way home, God came and died to rescue us. You have never been loved like this.  he has come to save you in every way a person can be saved.  That is Gods' heart towards you."

While God automatically loves us because we are his creation, he does not automatically save us and guarantee us passage to and an eternal place in heaven.  We are the ones who make the choice between hell and heaven.  There is a hero in our story...his name is Jesus.  The choice to accept the sacrifice He made for us and fall before him saying "Thank You Lord for being my hero and saving this sinner," is ours.

Do you have a date and time you reached out and asked your hero to save you from your sinful state?  If you are not sure, make today the day.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?

Marriage Matters #1