Resisted Conviction

January 31
Keep your eyes open, hold tight to your convictions, give it all you've got, 
be resolute, and love without stopping.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Listening to a Bible Study video this week, the term resisted conviction was tossed out in relationship to  situations which can bring about anguish in our lives.  My head was spinning from all I was learning and I placed a question mark next to this phrase, which I jotted in my notes.  As evening settled in, I asked my man....What does resisted conviction mean related to anguish?
Very eloquently he explained it this way.  

"Resisted Conviction is that in-between time when you know you've done wrong, but you push conviction away.  By postponing the day of reckoning, you just make it worse, bringing anguish upon your soul."

Beth Moore writes (and I felt the conviction as I read this):
"God reminds us that He didn't plant His word in us just so we could divert it toward someone else's conviction or deliverance.  That's true even when we have righteous indignation.  We need humility to receive a word from God down into the soil of our humanity.  We tend to take God's message to us and hang it around someone else's neck, but its first target was our souls."

A song we sang with our children when they were young is ringing in my ears again...He's still working on ME, to make ME, what I ought to be.

Yup, I think a huge part of resisted conviction is finding someone else we think needs to be convicted more than we think we ourselves need to be WORKED UPON!
I wish I had learned to love and appreciate the conviction of the Holy Spirit sooner in my life. God is looking for an END RESULT with our lives and conviction is part of the fine tuning process. 

But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard-things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity.  We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people.  We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.   Galatians 5:22-23

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?