A Remnant



My mother had a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet, which she left to me.  Her wrists were larger than mine, so I had to have it cut down.  Three little diamonds were left. Instead of tossing them aside I asked my jeweler to make them into a pendant. It is one of my favorite pieces of jewelry. I call it my remnant..."A small remaining quantity of something."  Each time I put it on I'm reminded of all the times in history a remnant of God's faithful people have made an impact for the kingdom.

Oh, me of little faith.  I've been circling a prayer for 100 people to rise up and be part of a Monday night time of prayer at our church 1-2 times a month.  The first night I prayed for this there were 10 people who came.  Enthusiastically, I looked forward to the next meeting and prayed each person would bring another person and there would be 20 of us.  Instead, only 2 people showed up.

I knew the prayer I was praying was God honoring, so why the apathy?  The next morning I opened Drawing the Circle and the entry title and verse for that day were God ordained.

"Raise up a Remnant"
"And the remnant shall yet again take root downward, and bear fruit upward." 2 Kings 19:30

"At critical junctures in history, God raises up a remnant to reestablish His reign and rule. It's rarely a majority. In fact, it's almost always a small minority. But it takes a faithful few to begin a reformation....every generation needs a reformation. Every generation needs to tear down idols and rebuild its temples. Every generation needs to repent of its sin and rediscover the ancient truths."
Mark Batterson

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?