Beholding and Becoming #3

 
Becoming a competitive surfer girl. 

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus,     giving thanks to God the Father through him.  

Colossians 3:17

"Everybody has things to do. Lean to love what must be done!" Ruth Simons

Unexpected messes, that throw off my plans because they have to be dealt with, tend to steal my attitude of thanksgiving.  How do you thank the Lord for the invasion of ants in your cupboard or mice in the bread drawer?  Just the other day, after doing 8 loads of laundry and rejoicing in the completed accomplishment  I walked into one bedroom to find a pile of sheets and towels on the floor.  My gears did not immediately shift into thank You Lord for more laundry mode.

For years, when I'm tackling the mundane, I think...I bet the Queen or 1st Lady aren't emptying the dishwasher this morning, changing a bed a child wet, packing lunches or heading to the grocery store.  They also aren't making their own schedules and having a pajama day without make-up whenever they want.  Most likely they brush their own teeth and shave their own legs, just like we do. 

Simons wrote, "I find that my addiction to productivity, efficiency and comfort are always at the center of my unhappiness."  Ooh, I was there just last night and my thoughts towards those not in productivity mode were causing me to sin.

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

In Beholding and Becoming  we are challenged to dedicate today's mundane to Him, one by one.  Here is the list I made the Wednesday before Labor Day.

1) Wash clothes 2)Get Grocieries for 15 coming here for Labor Day weekend 3) Start cooking, baking and meal planning  4) Set up luncheon at church. 5) Come up with birthday ideas for our grandson 6) Come up with a birthday gift for our granddaughter 7)Help carpool another set of grands  8)Squeeze in some exercise.  9) Set up chairs for men's Bible study on the patio...whoops they are wet, move the study inside with a smile 10) Order birthday gifts for 2 friends 11) Unpack 4 boxes from Amazon of supplies for our church fall festival. 12) Paint my toe nails.

Sitting here typing my knees and back are aching and I'm thinking...I need a chiropractic adjustment.  Even more so, I need a heart adjustment, so I choose to change my perspective related to my list daily "to do lists" and turn those lists each day into a prayer of thanksgiving and praise.

Father, thank You for clothes to wash, food to prepare and a house to lodge a large loving family. How blessed I am to live in a country where I can freely worship and serve in an evangelical church that holds God's Word as truth and is full of people desiring to grow in their faith.  Thank You for a car, gas money and good health that allow me to drive to baby sit and carpool precious grandchildren. How blessed I am to have friends who are only a text away and willing to pray for me. It is a joy to pray for them and celebrate their lives. May You receive glory for all you have done and continue to do as our Creator, Provider, Redeemer and Savior. In Jesus' name, Amen

Be joyful always! Give thanks in all things. 1 Thessalonians 5:16, 18

The Song

"Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2inhx3kytGQ

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?