Holding On

Here we are at our reception at the Hotel Roanoke 44 years ago.

My favorite thing looking back on our wedding photographs is how my husband is holding onto me with a huge smile!  He still holds onto me, more so now in hopes I will not fall down.  When we are out on our 3 mile neighborhood walks, people sometimes comment how cute it is that we are holding hands. Holding on is a good thing. (Particularly when you wobble like a webble that might fall down.)   Today's song is "Hold onto Jesus, Because He's Holding on to You."

Choosing to hold on can take effort.  It's a dying to self and thinking of the other as more important.

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.  Philippians 2:3  

The actions and daily routines that hold us together can subtly get shoved away.  Just the other night I said, "We aren't praying together anymore.  We have stopped reading our Stormie Omartian books at night to one another, The Power of a a Praying Wife/Husband
As tired as we were, we picked up the books which were right there on our bedside tables and tuned back to the first reading.

Here is what I read to my husband. It's not for the faint of heart.

"Lord, help me to be a good wife. I fully reconginize that I don't have what it takes to be one without Your help.

Take my selfishness, impatience, and irritability and turn them into kindness, long-suffering, and the willingness to bear all things.

Take my old emotional habits, mind-sets, automatic reactions, rude assumptions, and self-protectiveness, and make me patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle and self-controlled.

Take the hardness of my heart and break down the walls with Your battering ram of revelation.  Give me a new heart and work in me Your love, peace, and joy. 
(Galatians 5:22-23)  I am not able to rise above who I am at this moment.  Only You can transform me.  In Jesus' name, I pray."  Stormie Omartian

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. Mark 11:24-25

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.


1 Corinthians 10:13

The Song

"Hold Onto Jesus"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe4ucy9c7rY







Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?