Treasure

May 17

The next couple weeks I am taking a New Testament journey by stopping in each book. Today I begin at the beginning in Matthew, a tax collector, who forgoes everything to follow Jesus and then writes to tell about the long-awaited King of glory!

My eyes immediately fell onto chapter 6 and the title Treasures in Heaven.
I've been working hard to get our home in ship shape. Cleaning, painting, sewing, and sorting. There are many things I do treasure in this house. Pictures and items passed down from generations which are full of memories and meaning. How quickly they can vanish. Just ask the people of Haiti or Nashville. Also, I have it so clean and neat and worked so hard to get it that way I don't want people to come in and mess it up. That is just wrong and the opposite of how I have lived my life. Our Army son said he was going to bring some soldier buddies home Memorial Day weekend...I cringed envisioning them coming in wearing muddy boots and camo! :)

Matthew's book is full of the wisdom of Jesus' teachings. Chapter 6:19-21 says:
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Flipping ahead to chapter 26 a woman, thought to be Martha's sister Mary, gets the blood pressures of the disciples up when she pours a very expensive bottle of perfume over the head of Jesus. The disciples see it as waste. Mary's love for Jesus is extravagant..I hope Christ sees my love for Him that way as well.

Let's Pray:
Lord, you are our King and we come today to worship You. Forgive us when we treasure opinions, things or people more than we treasure who You are in our lives. Teach us to live simply and simply love YOU before all else. When we see You face to face may You be quick to recognize us because of the time we have spent with You. In Jesus' name Amen

The last part of that prayer took me back a few days when I was in my hometown with a new friend. I told her, "If I do not introduce you to someone, it is because I have forgotten their name." When Jesus sees us, may he not struggle to remember our names because of how distant we have been.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?