Regard

Regard-consider or think of in a specific way; have relationship to or connection with; concern.

There are a couple situations in the Bible with regard  to prayer.

When Hannah, a woman distraught with grief brought on from infertility, was caught pouring her heart out to the Lord in prayer Eli came upon her thinking she was drunk.  I love her reply to how he was regarding her.
"But Hannah answered, 'No, my lord, I am a woman troubled in spirit. I have drunk nether wine more strong drink, but I have been pouring out my soul before the Lord. Do not regard your servant as a worthless woman, for all along I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation.' Then Eli answered, 'Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition that you have made to him.'"
1 Samuel 1:15-17

Open our eyes Lord to those we may be viewing with disregard, totally missing the condition of their heart.

Solomon cries out to God to hear his prayers related to the temple which has finally be constructed.
"But will God indeed dwell on earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built! Yet have regard to the prayer of your servant and to his plea, O Lord my God, listening to the cry and to the prayer that your servant prays before you this day, that your eyes may be open night and day toward this house, the place of which you have said, 'My name shall be there,' that you may listen to the prayer that your servant offers toward this place."
1 Kings 8:27-29

Is there a heartfelt prayer in your life right now?  A place you are crying out to the Lord to occupy?
Possibly the heart of someone you love?

David brings up a strong look at regard related to those paying allegiance to worthless idols in
Psalm 31:5-7
"Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God. I hate those who pay regard to worthless idols, but I trust in the Lord.  I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love, because you have seen my affliction; you have known the distress of my soul."

When this word regard came to mind, so did the phrase: "Regard God's Word as truth."

In Psalm 119  David points out why God's Word is worth regarding.  Jesus is the ultimate example of someone who lived out loving God's Word this way.

In verse 42 we learn we can trust in the word, knowing that it is altogether true. (v.142)
In a world where so much is falsified, it is a comfort to know God's Word is trustworthy.
John 17:17 Jesus says, "Your word is truth."

We also learn God's Word is alive and a powerful tool for our lives. David tells us (v105)
"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."  It truly guides us.  David loves God's Word saying it is 'better than thousands of gold and silver pieces' (v72) and 'sweeter than honey' (v103).

How do we regard God's Word?
Do we love it enough to obey it?
Do we treasure it in our hearst and share it with others?




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?