Uncomfortable


With below freezing temps, it was an opportune time to get out my boots to wear to church. Putting on my tights and then my boots, they didn't feel nearly as comfortable as in years past.  Although I was rushing to get out the door on time, I decided to unzip them for a quick look see wondering if the the problem was my feet or the boots. In the bottom of each boot was a little knee high stocking. Whew, removing those made all the difference.

As I drove to church I thought about the things that God calls us to which can make us just a little uncomfortable.  Possibly it's speaking to someone at church whom we don't know or have even formed an unjust opinion.  Maybe it's writing that check for more than our tithe or signing up to help in the children's department despite the fact some may have runny noses.

"Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, can call out against it the message that I tell you." Jonah 3:2

Once we "put away" what's holding us back and allow the Holy Spirit to reign, we become much more comfortable.

The flip side of this lesson is when we don't heed the warnings as we are edging toward sin. You know when we get that spiritual nudge, the prick of our conscience reminding us that Jesus would not be comfortable participating in what we are contemplating.  Maybe it's a relationship, an activity, an addiction we need to "put away" because we know it does not honor God.

"Everything that is wrong is sin, but not all sins are deadly."  1 John 5:17

Uncomfortable may actually be a stop sign for our benefit.  I'm praying right now that the Holy Spirit will guide us through all uncomfortable spots this week, as He teaches us how to live for Christ, which is gain!


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?